Twelve new national artists named
Twelve outstanding people have been named national artists for the year 2020, Culture Minister Ittipol Khunpluem announced on Wednesday.
There are four categories of national artists - visual arts, literature and performing arts.
In visual arts, the new national artists are:
- Professor Emertius Kamchorn Soonpongsri (painting)
- Amarit Chusuwan (painting - mixed media)
- Prapakorn Watanayakul (contemporary architecture)
- Samroeng Daengnaewnoy (exquisite art - wood carving)
In literature, the new national artists are:
- Anek Nawikmul
- Orasom Sutthisakhon
In performing arts, the new national artists are:
- Prateep Suksopha (folk song)
- Pramet Boonyachai (dramatic arts - khon)
- Peeb Konglaithong (Thai music)
- Suda Chuenbaan (Thai music - singing)
- Roongrudee Pengcharoen (Thai music - singing)
- Pong Assawinikul (sound system director - film recording)
Mr Ittipol said national artists are entitled to a monthly allowance of 25,000 baht for life and other welfare benefits.
Their biographies and information about their works can be found on www.culture.go.th, www.facebook.com/DCP.culture and line@วัฒนธรรม.