What's trending and happening this week
1. Freelance photographer and visual storyteller Adam Birkan is back with his third solo photography show in Bangkok. HopeLand, hosted at JAM Cafe Bangkok, will feature Birkan's distant but poetic photos of everyday situations from broken down cars to random soi dogs taken from his apartment window within a period of 18 months. His minimalistic and colourful style gives the everyday a new and interesting perspective. The opening party will be next Saturday from 7pm till midnight. A limited edition HopeLand zine will be for sale for that night only.
2. It's the fight (or marketing stunt) of the century as Irish MMA featherweight, lightweight and welterweight champion Conor McGregor is facing off against undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather this Saturday night in Las Vegas, USA. With the 12-hour time difference, Thais can hop on over to either The Sportsman Sportsbar on Sukhumvit 31 or The Londoner Brew Pub on Phattanakan Road on Sunday from 7am to 11am to root for your favourite. Go early, as most seats are already booked.
3. For a different kind of shirtless-men-in-action, Thunder From Down Under, "Australia's hottest export", will be performing for the first time in Southeast Asia at Lat Phrao's Moonstar Studio from Aug 30 to Sept 5. A male revue show that has performed to over 18 million women worldwide, Bangkokians now have a chance to get front-row seats to the "chiselled bodies, seductive dance routines, cheeky humour and boy-next-door charm". Tickets start from 2,500 baht and go up to 45,000 baht for a 6-person VIP table. Visit ticketmelon.com for tickets.
4. The heart of Bangkok has got itself another fun sports venue as Roller Dome, the sister of Southeast Asia's biggest skate rink Roller Dome Thailand, is launching tonight at the 3rd floor of The Emporium Shopping Complex. The Roller Dome will be a state-of-the-art indoor skating rink with professional personnel and trainers ready to help beginners get a rolling start. Fees start at 100 baht and the rink will open every day from 11am to 10pm. For more information go to rollerdome.com.
5. Paul Smith fans can head over to CentralWorld for the Artist Stripe Pop-Up shop running today until Aug 31. At the second floor Sky Walk entrance to GROOVE, the little colourful pop-up features all kinds of Paul Smith products from trainers, ties and socks to bikinis with accents of the brand's special Artist Stripe pattern. Special Paul Smith collaborations like Caran d'Ache pens are also available at the store.