Compassion is key
Central Group seeks donations to help breast cancer centres and their patients
The most common cancer in Thai women, breast cancer is seeing a rising number of new cases while the average age of those diagnosed with the malignancy tends to be younger. According to figures from the National Cancer Institute, about 49 women in Thailand are diagnosed with breast cancer every day, while 13 lose their lives.
While early detection increases the chance of successful treatment and reduces the risk of death, many women still find breast cancer in advanced stages as they do not have access to medical services, and some hospitals lack necessary medical supplies and equipment.
Chemotherapy patients lose their hair as one of the side effects, so having wigs made from real hair can help boost their confidence once again. However, in reality, real-hair wigs are quite expensive.
"Central Group is committed to helping cancer patients who do not have treatment opportunities so that they can get the treatment they need via the Women Cancer Project under Central Tham CSV project," said Busaba Chirathivat, Central Group's executive vice-president for corporate communications.
"We believe that the best prevention is early detection, as it increases the rate of successful treatment and reduces the chance of spreading. The project also raises awareness about maintaining good health to prevent cancer with five tips: regular exercise, positive mind, consuming fruits and vegetables, eating healthy food, and regular health checkups. Women above 30 years old should get a mammogram or ultrasound on a yearly basis so that they can detect any irregularity and seek treatment instantly if needed," she added.
Central Group and affiliates, including Central Retail, Central Pattana, Central Restaurants Group, Centara and The1 invite the kind-hearted to support the purchase of medical equipment and supplies through their donations that can be made at the boxes provided in shopping centres and stores, as well as purchasing promotional products from now until Oct 31 -- which marks the end of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
The donations will be used to purchase medical equipment and supplies, such as mobile ultrasound units for Thanyarak Breast Center to screen for breast cancer under Princess Mother Srinagarindra's breast cancer initiative, vital sign and heart rate monitoring machines to check vital signs and electrical signals from the heart, and infusion pumps for feeding for Nakornping Hospital's Cancer Center, heart monitoring machines to check electrical signals from the heart, and breast implant sewing tools for Ubon Ratchathani Cancer Hospital.
Additionally, those who are interested can also donate hair to give confidence to chemotherapy patients, as these treatments may result in hair loss. Hair can be sent to the Angel Foundation to produce wigs by vulnerable groups to be given to the chemotherapy centre of Siriraj Hospital. Financial donations can also be made in donation boxes at six Cut & Curl locations.
Assoc Prof Dr Visit Vamvanij, chairman director of Thanyarak Breast Center and director of Siriraj Hospital, said ultrasound tests are crucial in breast cancer screening. It is a safe method and can show images of internal organs on the computer screen without any surgery. This method allows doctors to determine whether the lumps are fibrocystic changes, tumours or potential cancer. Ultrasound tests also help screen breast cancer in women who have thick breast tissue where lumps cannot be detected through mammograms.
For more information, visit facebook.com/centralgroupthailand.
How to support tHe women CanCer 2022 projeCt
- Scan the e-mobile banking QR code that appears on the communication of Central Group's platforms, or make a donation to Tian Chirathivat Foundation account, Bangkok Bank, Silom branch, account number 118-0-58203-1.
- Donation boxes at redemption points, information counters, or cashier counters of Central Group's stores, more than 225 points nationwide.
- Online donation via Tham-dee.com online fund-raising website.
- Redeem The1 points as donation.
- Purchase participating promotional items at Central Group stores.
- Support wig making in donation boxes at six Cut & Curl locations: CentralWorld, Central Rama 2, Central Rama 9, Central Plaza Westgate, Central Festival Eastville and CentralPlaza Lardprao.
- Donate hair to make wigs for chemotherapy patients, produced by vulnerable groups. Send your hair to the Angel Foundation (Women Cancer 2022), 122 Soi 10, Suan Phak Road, Taling Chan district, Bangkok, 10700, call 066-085-6712/6. The wigs will be given to the chemotherapy centre of Siriraj Hospital.