Blacklisted foreigner held for procuring boys in Pattaya | Bangkok Post: news

Search Switch
Remove

News > Crime

Blacklisted foreigner held for procuring boys in Pattaya

Marie Joseph Hendrikus Hyacinthus, left, of the Netherlands, is questioned after being arrested for allegedly procuring Thai boys for foreigners for sex in Pattaya early on Sunday. (Photo captured from Spring News TV Channel)

- +

Police have denied claims by a 69-year-old Dutchman blacklisted for overstay in 2016 that he re-entered Thailand 8 months later by bribing an immigration officer at a Surin border checkpoint, before being subsequently arrested in Pattaya at the weekend for allegedly procuring Thai boys for foreigners.

Marie Joseph Hendrikus Hyacinthus was apprehended at 1.30am on Sunday in Pattaya by a police team, led by Police Region 2 deputy commander Chetha Kamolwathana, who is also head of the Children and Women Family Protection and Anti Human Trafficking Centre of Provincial Police Region 2.

The arrest was made during a sting operation launched on suspicion the Dutchman was supplying young boys for sex with foreigners in Pattaya. 

Two foreigners serving as police agents contacted Mr Hyacinthus, asking him for four Thai boys. He was arrested when he showed up at a hotel where the young boys were to be handed over. 

Mr Hyacinthus was found to have been blacklisted by Thai immigration for one year and deported on Sept 10, 2016. He claimed to have slipped back into Thailand in May last year. 

He allegedly told investigators after Sunday’s arrest that he paid an immigration officer at Chong Jom checkpoint in Surin's Kab Choeng district 3,000 baht to let him cross the border from Cambodia.

Mr Hyacinthus denied all charges in connection with the sex trade. 

Police deputy spokesman Krissana Pattanacharoen said on Monday the Immigration Bureau found no record of Mr Hyacinthus entering Thailand through any legal entry point. 

The suspect had tried to enter the country, but had been rejected by Immigration officers, Pol Col Krissana said. It was not possible the suspect entered Thailand through a legal crossing point. 

Regarding the alleged bribe, the deputy police spokesman said no irregularities had been uncovered.

Immigration Bureau chief Sutthipong Wongpin said no officers were found to have demanded or received a bribe from Mr Hyacinthus as he claimed. 

An investigation will be carried out to ascertain how the suspect entered Thailand, he said.

RELATED STORIES

Get full Bangkok Post printed newspaper experience on your digital devices with Bangkok Post e-newspaper. Try it out, it's totally free for 7 days.

23 people commented about the above

Readers are urged not to submit comments that may cause legal dispute including slanderous, vulgar or violent language, incorrectly spelt names, discuss moderation action, quotes with no source or anything deemed critical of the monarchy. More information in our terms of use.

Please use our forum for more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another.