Columnnist

Therese Raphael

Bloomberg View writer

Therese Raphael writes editorials on European politics and economics for Bloomberg View. She was editorial page editor of the Wall Street Journal Europe.

Therese Raphael
17 Jan 2019

A glimmer of hope

Ms May has refused to rule out Brexit without, hoping the threat will convince remainers and soft Brexiters to vote for some version of her deal.

17 Jan 2019
A glimmer of hope
12 Dec 2018

May's failure

Whether the UK is pursuing Brexit in name only, as many Brexiters claim, it certainly has a government in name only.

12 Dec 2018
2 Nov 2018

Wake up UK!

Whether or not the EU and UK conclude the terms of Brexit, more must be done to ensure that residency issues don't undermine UK-European relations.

2 Nov 2018 1
25 Jul 2018

No-deal Brexit

While some 80 per cent of the withdrawal terms have been agreed to, the remaining 20% are up in the air and time is running out.

25 Jul 2018 3
No-deal Brexit
5 Dec 2017

Furious at Trump

Trump shot down May's criticism of hate speech, saying she should 'focus on the destructive radical Islamic terrorism in the United Kingdom.

5 Dec 2017 4
Furious at Trump
25 Apr 2017

And the loser is...

French voters picked two candidates for the May 27 presidential election - and for the first time, neither belongs to an establishment party.

25 Apr 2017
And the loser is...
20 Apr 2017

France's voter revolt

The French presidential election is like an operating room: Everyone knows the patient is unwell but the doctors can't agree on which treatment is best.

20 Apr 2017
France's voter revolt