Buriram win, Honda fire coach

Buriram win, Honda fire coach

Buriram's Jakkaphan Kaewprom, left, vies with Si Sa Ket's Somsak Wongyai. ARKOM INTHON
Buriram's Jakkaphan Kaewprom, left, vies with Si Sa Ket's Somsak Wongyai. ARKOM INTHON

Buriram United carved out a 3-0 victory over Si Sa Ket in impressive fashion in their Thai League 1 encounter on Saturday night to leave their coach Ranko Popovic calling for more of the same.

It was an eventful night in the top flight as Thai Honda's Sirisak Yodyarthai became the fifth coach to get the chop this season after overseeing his team's 3-1 loss to Chonburi.

The Thunder Castle were clearly the more dominant side in the Northeastern derby at their I-Mobile stadium and they showed no mercy to struggling Si Sa Ket, who have long been languishing in the red zone.

Four-time former champions Buriram had a great start as they saw their prolific striker Diogo Luis Santo shoot the ball through Si Sa Ket goalkeeper Supawat Seenothai's legs just after the 15-minute mark to put the hosts ahead.

Buriram continued playing attacking football in the second half and were soon rewarded when Phansa Hemviboon headed on a free-kick from Korrakot Wiriyaudomsiri for Diogo to score with a sizzling volley.

Diogo had a hand in Buriram's third goal as well, chipping the ball to Anon Amornlertsak who set up the unmarked Surachart Sareepim six minutes from time.

Popovic was happy with the outcome, saying: "We are trying to create a good result in every match and this turned out to be another satisfying night for us.

"I am happy with the team's performance and hope that they continue their good run and win more matches like they did today."

Si Sa Ket assistant coach Pramual Thinkrathok said: "We made many mistakes and need to improve. We are hoping that our team will hit their peak soon and get out this slump."

Thai Honda failed to pick up a point at their home ground, going down 3-1 to Chonburi.

Renan Marquez scored the first goal for the Sharks in the 14th minute and then added another to his tally 10 minutes later.

Sittichoke Kannoo pulled one back for the hosts shortly before half-time, but Nurul Sriyankem set up Fode Diakite to wrap up the match midway through the second half.

Thai Honda announced immediately after the game they had fired their head coach Sirisak as the team hover perilously close to the relegation zone with only nine points from 11 matches.

Dusit Chalermsaen (Si Sa Ket), Chalermwut Sa-ngarpol (Super Power), Somchai Makmoon (Sukhothai) and Sergio Farias (Suphanburi) were the previous managerial casualties.

Hosts Ubon UMT United ended their four-match winless streak with a 2-1 victory over Sukhothai on Saturday night, while Nakhon Ratchasima and Bangkok United played to a goalless draw.

Do you like the content of this article?

Last farewell

Mourners bid their last farewell to former privy council president Prem Tinsulanonda in a ceremony presided over by His Majesty the King.

8 Dec 2019

Massive march

Tens of thousands gather in Hong Kong’s Victoria Park for march to Central business district as massive crowds clog surrounding streets.

8 Dec 2019

Parking in the wrong lane

Pickup window smashed after able-bodied driver parks in disabled spot at Chiang Mai megastore.

8 Dec 2019