Badminton world tour aims for September restart

Badminton world tour aims for September restart

Thai badminton chief Patama Leeswadtrakul, right, and national team players give relief bags to people affected by Covid-19 on Friday.
Thai badminton chief Patama Leeswadtrakul, right, and national team players give relief bags to people affected by Covid-19 on Friday.

KUALA LUMPUR: Badminton's world tour hopes to resume in September, officials said on Friday, announcing a revised schedule with several tournaments moved or cancelled because of the months-long coronavirus shutdown.

The circuit will restart in Taiwan on Sep 1, the Badminton World Federation said, with 16 tournaments building up to the World Tour Finals in Guangzhou, China, from Dec 16.

Major tournaments in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and India are among those that have been rescheduled, while the World Tour Finals were pushed back by a week.

The Thailand Open will now be held from Dec 1-6. But the Badminton Asia Championships and Singapore Open are on a list of 10 cancelled events, while another five have been suspended.

The Thomas and Uber Cup world team championships remain on their revised schedule of Oct 3-11 in Denmark.

BWF secretary general Thomas Lund cautioned that there were no guarantees the new-look tour would go ahead as planned.

The BWF suspended all tournaments in mid-March, in line with other sports as the pandemic took hold.

In Bangkok, Badminton Association of Thailand president Patama Leeswadtrakul, national team players and police officers jointly gave relief bags to people affected by Covid-19 in Sois Bonkai, Plukjit, Polo and Ruamruedee on Friday.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

US deaths top 100,000 as countries reimpose distancing measures

WASHINGTON - The US coronavirus death toll passed 100,000, as some countries reimposed social distancing rules following a resurgence of cases that raised the spectre of a dreaded second wave of infections.

28 May 2020

Trump to target social media with executive order

WASHINGTON - US President Donald Trump was set Thursday to target social media giants like Twitter, which he accuses of bias against him, with an executive order opening them to new regulation.

28 May 2020

Virus unleashing new wave of US layoffs

WASHINGTON: The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits held above 2 million last week for a 10th straight week amid job cuts by US state and local governments whose budgets have been decimated fighting the COVID-19 pandemic and more second-wave layoffs in the private sector.

28 May 2020