Liverpool stars back Williams after social media abuse

Liverpool stars back Williams after social media abuse

Liverpool players have supported Neco Williams after his online abuse.
Liverpool players have supported Neco Williams after his online abuse.

LONDON: Liverpool stars including Virgil van Dijk have backed Neco Williams after the young defender received social media abuse.

Williams was criticised online after losing possession in the build-up to Lincoln's first goal during Liverpool's 7-2 League Cup win last week.

The 19-year-old Wales international has since stopped using his official Twitter account.

But Liverpool assistant manager Pep Lijnders said on Wednesday the highly-rated Williams knows he has the backing of his team-mates, including Van Dijk and Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Speaking ahead of Thursday's League Cup fourth round tie against Arsenal, Lijnders said: "It is not for me to comment on social media.

"The only thing I can say is abuse is wrong - through social media, on the street, it is wrong. Second, you are not a Liverpool supporter if you don't support.

"Trent (Alexander-Arnold) spoke with him (Williams), Virgil spoke with him, Robbo (Andrew Robertson) spoke with him - so it's not only Jurgen or me.

"It's how we take care of each other and that's what makes us different."

Lijnders, standing in for Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp at the press conference, added: "Neco is a doer, and doers make mistakes. We don't want safe play, a player who doesn't take risks.

"Our game is based on everyone taking the initiative from each position, and that is what we want.

"One of the most important lessons for each young boy who is coming through, each player, is that it is a weakness if you can get caught up in praise and criticism. I think he dealt with it really well, to be honest."


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

Ekachai denied bail in motorcade case

The Court of Appeal has upheld a lower court ruling to deny bail to activist Ekachai Hongkangwan, who was charged with causing harm to Her Majesty the Queen’s liberty during her motorcade on Oct 14.

18:43

No link between flu jabs and deaths, says Seoul

SEOUL: Korean authorities insist flu vaccines would continue to reduce the chance of having simultaneous epidemics of influenza and Covid-19, even as the number of people who have died after getting flu shots has risen to 48.

17:56

Six held in major online gambling bust

Six people have been arrested on charges of running an online gambling ring with tens of billions of baht in circulation, following police raids at a hotel on Koh Samui and other sites

17:08