India cricketers test negative after bubble 'breach'

India cricketers test negative after bubble 'breach'

India's cricket team have all tested negative for Covid-19
India's cricket team have all tested negative for Covid-19

SYDNEY - India's team and support staff all tested negative to Covid-19 after five players apparently breached their bio-security bubble, officials said Monday, as capacity at the Sydney Cricket Ground was slashed over coronavirus concerns.

The quintet -- Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant, Shubman Gill, Prithvi Shaw and Navdeep Saini -- were filmed dining inside a Melbourne restaurant on New Year's Day.

The Australian state of Victoria, of which Melbourne is the capital, is battling to stem a cluster of virus cases tied to a wider outbreak in neighbouring New South Wales.

In response, authorities require restaurant-goers to dine outdoors and maintain social distancing.

While the five were allowed to continue training, they were told to stay apart from the broader Indian squad, with the entire tour party tested on Sunday.

The Indian cricket board, which has not said whether the five will be punished, Monday issued a brief statement giving them the all-clear for Covid-19.

"Playing members of the Indian cricket team and support staff underwent a test for Covid-19 on January 3, 2021. All tests have returned negative results," it said.

Australia's team and staff were also tested and they too came back negative.

Both teams headed to Sydney Monday for the third Test starting Thursday, with the four-Test series level at 1-1.

They will play in front of a 25 percent capacity crowd -- around 10,000 - after it was slashed from 50 percent following a backlash on social media and from some experts, given the Covid situation in the city.

There are currently an estimated 273 active cases in Australia, although many are travellers in quarantine.

It means all tickets will be refunded and fans must re-apply.

Tony Shepherd, head of Venues NSW which manages the stadium, said significant measures had been taken to ensure the safety of fans.

"There are extensive protocols being enacted for the upcoming Test, including increased cleaning, customer service and security staff, along with dedicated social distancing marshals," he said.

The fourth and final Test is in Brisbane next week.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

Departing Trump gets his parade but little love

JOINT BASE ANDREWS, US: Donald Trump wanted a hero's send off Wednesday and the ceremony arranged for him at an Air Force Base outside Washington looked just like one. But one thing was missing: the big crowd he loves.

21:45

Police summon activist for false abduction report

Police summoned a political activist for falsifying a statement on Wednesday, after his claim that he was abducted stirred anger on social media and allegations of state harassment of government critics.

20:21

Foreign visitors to Japan plunge 87%, biggest since 1964

TOKYO: Foreign visitors to Japan in 2020 plunged 87.1% from a year earlier, the biggest drop since 1964 when comparable data became available, the Japan Tourism Agency said on Wednesday, as the coronavirus pandemic dented travel demand and entry restrictions were imposed.

19:46