Guangzhou to host badminton finals

Guangzhou to host badminton finals

Thailand's Sapsiree Taerattanachai (right) and Dechapol Puavaranukroh.
Thailand's Sapsiree Taerattanachai (right) and Dechapol Puavaranukroh.

KUALA LUMPUR: China will host its first international badminton tournament since 2019 with the season-ending BWF World Tour Finals in December, the sport's governing body said.

The Badminton World Federation cancelled two planned events in China but said its flagship US$1.5 million Finals would take place in Guangzhou from Dec 14-18.

China has cancelled almost all international sports competitions since Covid emerged there in 2019, with the Beijing Winter Olympics in February this year a rare exception.

Those were held in a strict "closed loop" to thwart the coronavirus and the BWF did not immediately say if the Guangzhou Finals would also take place in a "bubble". The table tennis world team championships began yesterday in the Chinese city of Chengdu in a "closed loop," all part of the country's strict "zero-Covid" policy.

December's World Tour Finals will include the top eight players and pairs in each category for their share of what the BWF called "the biggest prize pool ever seen in badminton".

"We remain confident that our hosts will deliver a spectacular Finals event with the highest standard of player safety and comfort," said BWF secretary-general Thomas Lund.

The southern city of Guangzhou also held the Finals in 2018 and 2019.

Last year's tournament was held in Bali, Indonesia. Denmark's Viktor Axesen won the men's singles title and South Korea's An Se-Young took the women's singles crown.

Thailand's Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai won the mixed doubles title in the previous two editions.



Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

Smoked out

Bail denied for six policemen accused of extorting tourists caught with vaping devices, as police crack down on illegal e-cigarettes after learning they’re easy to obtain.

17:50

Hong Kong offers 500,000 free flights

Hong Kong is ready to welcome the world back, its leader said on Thursday, as he pitched an offer of 500,000 free flights and positive publicity to resurrect the once-vibrant global hub after three years of Covid-enforced isolation.

17:19

SRT to call bids for land near new rail hub

The Transport Ministry expects that bids for the commercial development of land around Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal will be completed this year.

16:07