Japanese diver's body found off Koh Phangan

Japanese diver's body found off Koh Phangan

The parents of the Japanese tourist join Japanese diplomats, police and resort operators in the search for him off Koh Phangan. (Photo by Supapong Chaolan)
The parents of the Japanese tourist join Japanese diplomats, police and resort operators in the search for him off Koh Phangan. (Photo by Supapong Chaolan)

SURAT THANI - Divers have found the body of a Japanese tourist who went missing on a diving trip on Tuesday.

Somchai Noppasri, chief of Koh Phangan police station, said on Sunday the body of Takahiro Satoya was found trapped in a rock on Saturday near the location where he had been reported missing on Tuesday.

The body of the 22-year-old tourist has been taken to Koh Phangan Hospital for an autopsy.

His parents have been on the resort island in Koh Phangan district in Surat Thani since being informed that he had gone missing.

Pol Col Somchai said the pair had no questions about the death of their son and allowed the Kusol Sattha Foundation on the island to carry out a religious ceremony for him before the remains are taken back to Japan.

Satoya was reported missing while diving in rough seas with his friends off Koh Kor Ma near Koh Phangan on Tuesday. Rescue workers, volunteers, resort operators and officials joined hands to try to locate him until they found the body on the fifth day of the operation.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (2)

Heavy rain nationwide from Wednesday

Heavy to very heavy rain is forecast nationwide from Sept 28-Oct 1 as tropical typhoon Noru moves from the South China Sea onto middle Vietnam on Wednesday, the Meteorological Department said in its 5am weather forecast on Monday.

11:05

Pound hits record low versus dollar, markets drop on recession fears

HONG KONG - The pound hit a record low against the dollar Monday on surging fears about the UK economy after the government unveiled a huge tax-cutting budget.

10:45

Hong Kong cardinal among activists on trial over protest fund

HONG KONG: A 90-year-old Hong Kong cardinal will go on trial alongside four fellow democracy supporters on Monday over their role in running a fund to help defend people arrested in anti-government protests.

09:45