Teen-killer complains that youths attacked him

Teen-killer complains that youths attacked him

The man who allegedly shot and killed a youth in a roadside incident last week has filed charges against the 'gang of teenagers' he says threatened to attack him.
The man who allegedly shot and killed a youth in a roadside incident last week has filed charges against the 'gang of teenagers' he says threatened to attack him.

The 50-year-old engineer who admitted to shooting a teenager dead in self-defence after a car parking dispute in Chon Buri has filed a complaint with police against the teenagers of which the victim was a member, saying they had attacked him prior to the shooting.

Suthep Pochanasomboon gave a statement Sunday to Pol Col Chiewchan Permpoon, chief of Saen Suk police in Muang district of Chon Buri province, along with evidence to back up his claims.

He said the teenagers assaulted him. He said he fired the shot that killed 17-year-old Nawapol Peungpai, who was among the group of teens, in self-defence during a scuffle at an intersection in tambon Ang Sila on Feb 4.

Mr Suthep has been charged with premeditated murder and carrying a firearm without a reason.

Pol Col Chiewchan said police are questioning witnesses.

Pol Sub-Lt Narongsak Jit-anong, deputy traffic police chief at Saen Suk station, said at least four of the teenagers are also facing charges of colluding to attack a police officer on duty.

On the day of the incident, Mr Suthep was caught by a traffic officer at the intersection after he shot Nawapol. It has been alleged that as they chased after Mr Suthep, the officer was also assaulted.

Also suspected of taking part in the attacks on Mr Suthep and the officer is the driver of the van that was transporting the teens.

The driver has been charged with being complicit in the attack and breaching the traffic law by parking the van in a no-parking zone, which was the subject of the row between the teens and Mr Suthep.

Pol Sub-Lt Narongsak said the four teens have been summoned to hear the charges at Saen Suk station tomorrow. If they fail to turn up, warrants for their arrest will be issued.

Meanwhile, Mr Suthep will be sent to the Burapha University Hospital for an examination of his injuries sustained during the fight. The results of the medical test will be used as evidence in the investigation.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (9)
TRENDING

Indian man wins 22-year court fight for 20 rupees

A lawyer who won a 22-year court battle for compensation from Indian Railways after being overcharged 20 rupees (9 baht) said on Friday that his quest for justice was worth the effort.

20:52

Global LGBT event scrapped over Taiwan name flap

TAIPEI: An international LGBT gathering in Taiwan has been cancelled after its global organisers demanded the removal of the self-ruled island’s name from the 2025 event — a move denounced by the government.

18:17

Five Chinese firms to exit US stock market

SHANGHAI: Five major Chinese companies including two of the country’s largest oil producers will delist from the New York Stock Exchange, the firms said in filings on Friday.

17:30