Downpour triggers flash floods across Bangkok
published : 30 May 2017 at 13:10
writer: Supoj Wancharoen
At least 29 spots in Bangkok experienced flash flooding following torrential rain across the capital on Tuesday morning, according to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s (BMA) flood prevention centre.
Late this morning the rain began to weaken in Thon Buri and inner Bangkok, but a mass of rain clouds was moving to the eastern part of Bangkok.
The highest rainfall was measured at 95.5 millimetres per hour in Bang Khen district, while the average flood water level went from 10 to 20 centimetres, the centre said.
The 29 areas reported to have suffered flash floods this morning are:
1) an area around the Setthakit housing estate in Bang Khae district,
2) an area in Soi Sutthiphon on Pracha Songkhro Road,
3) the Sanam Chai area in Phra Nakhon district,
4) Itsaraphap Road in Bangkok Noi district,
5) Phetkasem Road in Bang Khae district,
6) Ngam Wong Wan Road in Lak Si district,
7) Kamphaeng Phet 2 Road in Chatuchak district,
8) Charoen Krung Road in Samphanthawong district,
9) the Nakhon Chai Si area in Dusit district,
10) a section of Ekkachai Road in Bang Bon,
11) Bang Khen Roundabout on Phahon Yothin Road in Bang Khen district,
12) Mit Maitri Road in Din Daeng district,
13) a section of Chaeng Watthana Road in Lak Si district,
14) the Chaloem Buri intersection on Yaowarat Road in Samphanthawong district,
15) Sang Hi intersection on Ratchawithi Road in Dusit district,
16) a section on Si Ayutthaya Road in Ratchathewi district,
17) an area in front of Phaya Thai police station on Ratchaprarop Road in Ratchathewi district,
18) the Pracha Suk area in Din Daeng district,
19) around a clock tower in the Pracha Songkhro area in Din Daeng district,
20) Soi 8-10 on Chom Thong Road in Chom Thong district,
21) Soi Shinnakhet on Ngam Wong Wan Road in Lak Si district,
22) the area around Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University on Ratchawithi Road in Dusit district,
23) an area in front of Santiratwitthayalai School on Si Ayutthaya Road in Ratchathewi district,
24) Kaset intersection on Ngam Wong Wan Road in Chatuchak district,
25) Saphan Khwai intersection on Phahon Yothin Road in Phaya Thai district,
26) Ratchayothin intersection on Ratchadaphisek Road in Chatuchak district,
27) an area in front a Bangkok Bank branch on Ratchadaphisek Road in Din Daeng district,
28) a section of Pradiphat Road in Phaya Thai district,
29) Tao Pun intersection on Pracha Rat Sai 2 Road in Bang Sue district
The BMA was speeding up draining excess water in the hope to improve traffic on the flooded roads, the flood prevention centre said.
Ratchadapisek Road on the way to Ratchayothin intersection at 12.36pm.
Ekachai - Bang Bon Road in Rama 2 area at around 12.30pm
A video clip shows the flood in Soi Lat Phrao 15 in Lat Phrao district at around noon.
Muang Thong Thani at 11.30am