School boss probe takes flak
The former chairman of Samsenwittayalai School's alumni association has cried foul over the Education Ministry's decision to postpone disclosing the disciplinary action being taken against a former school director accused of receiving bribes.
Chana Wongmusik, who is also a member of the Nakhon Si Thammarat Provincial Administrative Organisation council, said the postponement triggered doubts about the handling of the disciplinary investigation against the ex-director, Viroj Samruan.
Mr Viroj was accused of taking money from parents in exchange for enrolling their children in the school last year. This incident came to light after a parent circulated a video clip showing Mr Viroj receiving money, allegedly to accept his child into Mathayom 1.
The Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec) set up a committee to look into taking disciplinary action against Mr Viroj and transferred him to work on a temporary basis at the Secondary Educational Service Area Office 1 to ensure the probe was conducted transparently.
Mr Viroj was found to be in the wrong for accepting 400,000 baht from the parent to enrol his son at the school last year and the committee was expected to decide whether to fire him.
Education permanent secretary Karun Sakulpradit scheduled a press conference to announce the disciplinary action on Thursday but it was abruptly postponed.
Mr Karun could not be contacted yesterday for comment.
Mr Chana said it was unusual to have put off the press conference on the probe findings and the sooner the disclosure is made the better because schools across the country are enrolling students.
"I don't see any reason why the press conference was put off. The public is watching closely. The sooner the findings are revealed the better as it will give parents and students more confidence," he said.
On Tuesday, Obec said it was agreed that Mr Viroj would be fired.