Fire guts large tannery
published : 27 Nov 2018 at 12:20
writer: Sutthiwit Chayutworakan
SAMUT PRAKAN: Fire destroyed a leather factory in Bang Poo area of Muang district shortly before dawn on Tuesday, with damage estimated at 5 million baht.
The blaze at the Sanguanthai Chong Charoen tannery on Sukhumvit Road in tambon Bangpoo Mai was reported about 5.30am, said Pol Lt Col Chayut Mairue, investigation chief at Bangpoo police station.
Ten fire trucks and crews were deployed to the one-rai compound. The fire began at the back of the factory where heavy equipment was housed and spread quickly to the leather warehouse
Workers rushed to move tanks of dye and thinner from the warehouse.
Firefighters took about 2 hours to bring the flames under control. Three large machines and stacks of tanned leather ready to deliver to customers were destroyed. Damage was initially estimated at 5 million baht.
Factory owner Wichai Srisanguansat, 77, told he was starting his morning exercise routine when his wife called out that she could see flames pouring out of a boiler. The fire quickly spread.
Police suspected the fire was caused by a malfunction of the boiler. They were investigating.