Obec warns on admission 'tea money'
The Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec) has vowed to ensure transparency in this year's admission of students to primary and secondary schools nationwide.
"Obec has a strict policy against 'tea money' or bribe-taking, and any school directors found to be involved in any such misconduct will definitely face tough punishment," said Amnat Wichayanuwat, secretary-general of the commission.
The admissions process for primary schools are scheduled to take place from Feb 28 to March 4, while admissions for Mathayom 1 and Mathayom 4 are set for March 21-25, he said.
Mr Amnat said he had stressed to all school directors the importance of strictly complying with student admission regulations and working closely with local and provincial education committees to ensure transparency and equality.
A centre had also been set up to receive complaints about this year's student admissions, in a bid to speed up Obec's response to problems reported, he said.
The centre had so far received no complaints regarding the admission process, which was seen as a good indication that this year's admissions would run smoothly, he added.
The maximum allowed number of students per class was still limited to 30 at the Prathom, or primary level, and 45 at the secondary Mathayom level, he said.
At most, five extra seats would be allowed per class if necessary, he said.
The limits on the number of students per class are based on the current birth rate.
This has been dropping in recent years, he said.