Remedial payments for Korat shooting deaths now B2m each

Remedial payments for Korat shooting deaths now B2m each

Nakhon Ratchasima governor Wichian Chantaranothai, standing centre, presides over a ceremony on Feb 14 to give an initial sum of assistance money to relatives of the victims of the Feb 8-9 Korat mass shooting. (Photo by Prasit Tangprasert)
Nakhon Ratchasima governor Wichian Chantaranothai, standing centre, presides over a ceremony on Feb 14 to give an initial sum of assistance money to relatives of the victims of the Feb 8-9 Korat mass shooting. (Photo by Prasit Tangprasert)

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: A provincial committee on Sunday agreed to increase the amount of assistance money for families of innocent victims killed or left with permanent disability in the Feb 8-9 shooting rampage from 1 to 2 million baht each.

Provincial governor Wichian Chantaranothai said public donations as of 4pm on Sunday totalled  82,869,229.20 baht. It was previously announced the fund would stop accepting donations from Sunday  afternoon.

On Feb 14 the committee handed over an initial sum of 1 million baht each to the families of 27 people who were killed, and 100,000 baht each to 22 people who were injured and receiving treatment in hospitals.

At a meeting on Sunday, the committee decided the remaining donations will be used to provide thorough assistance to all victims.

The families of those killed and those who were injured with permanent disability will get a total of 2 million baht each.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will chair a ceremony to hand over the additional assistance to the families on Wednesday, Mr Wichian said.

The rampage on Feb 8-9 left 30 people dead, including the gunman, and 58 injured.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (4)

US bans WeChat use, TikTok downloads

WASHINGTON: The United States on Friday ordered a ban on downloads of the popular Chinese-owned video app TikTok and use of the messaging and payment platform WeChat, saying they threaten national security.

20:45

Google pulls Indian payment app over gambling

MUMBAI: Google on Friday removed one of India’s biggest digital payment apps from its online store for breaching gambling rules, a day before the start of the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket tournament.

20:27

Rain and rally

As Bangkok braces for weekend protests, anti-government demonstrators brace for a possible drenching from tropical storm Noul, which has already soaked Isan.

18:47