Japanese and S'pore arrivals screened

Japanese and S'pore arrivals screened

Health authorities have extended coronavirus screening to cover visitors from Japan and Singapore while denying entry to passengers and crew of the MS Westerdam, now berthed in Cambodia.

"We have expanded our intensive screening to travellers from Japan and Singapore. The screening method will be the same one used on passengers from Wuhan," Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai, Public Health Ministry permanent secretary, told a news conference on Monday. Intensive screening was already in place for arrivals from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

He urged travellers from Japan and Singapore who develop a fever or respiratory problems within 14 days of entering the country to go to the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute or other hospitals to be checked for novel coronavirus (Covid-19).

Public health authorities on Monday raised measures against Covid-19 to level 3, in preparation for a surge in transmissions. Level 3 means medical staff have to undergo screening for the virus. Within the next two months, every province will have at least one hospital capable of testing for Covid-19.

The Department of Medical Sciences is also developing a coronavirus test kit that will deliver a result in five minutes. The test kit should be available within two months.

Meanwhile, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Monday barred passengers and crew from the cruise ship MS Westerdam from entering Thailand. The decision came after an 83-year-old American female passenger tested positive for Covid-19 on arrival in Malaysia, despite Cambodian health officials clearing all onboard.

Mr Anutin said he had ordered all Thai airlines not to issue boarding passes to anyone who had been on the Westerdam for the next 14 days.

"And if any airline breaks this new regulation, it must take a responsibility for any damage incurred."

Thailand on Monday recorded one new coronavirus patient, taking the total number of cases to 35 since January. Fifteen have since recovered. The new case is a 60-year-old Chinese tourist from Wuhan, according to Dr Sukhum.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (23)

BBC apologises after 'Manchester United are rubbish' gaffe

The BBC was forced to apologise to Manchester United fans on Tuesday after a message appeared on their news ticker labelling the Premier League club as "rubbish".

24 May 2022

China, Russia conduct joint aerial patrol in military exercise

Chinese and Russian militaries conducted a joint aerial patrol on Tuesday, China's defence ministry said.

24 May 2022

Mask mandate to be lifted

Mandatory mask-wearing will be lifted in mid-June, and the government's plan to declare Covid-19 an endemic disease on July 1 is on track, says the health permanent secretary.

24 May 2022