Prison visit ban extended

Prison visit ban extended

Corrections Department director-general Narat Svetanan (centre).
Corrections Department director-general Narat Svetanan (centre).

The Corrections Department has extended its ban on visits to prisoners for another month, until May 31.

Director-general Narat Svetanan said on Thursday the extension corresponded with the government's extension of the state of emergency for another month to control the spread of coronavirus disease. 

Relatives and prisoners could instead communicate through the Line chat app, but relatives must not post online the recordings of the communications. Violators would be banned from online visits, he said.

The chief also said there were no new cases of Covid-19 infection in prisons.

There had been five to date - two prisoners who had already recovered, and three prison officials, one of whom had recovered, he said.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (1)

Two hunger strikers still conscious, very weak

The two female students charged with lese majeste are still conscious but very weak after nearly three weeks on a hunger strike, Thammasat University Hospital reported on Monday.

16:18

Emotions run high in Sweden's biggest wolf hunt

VäSTERåS, Sweden: Hunter Lars Bjork points to fresh tracks in the snow as he lumbers through a whited-out forest in central Sweden, where the biggest wolf hunt in modern times is drawing controversy.

15:45

Soldiers aim for Muay Thai world record

About 3,600 soldiers will perform a traditional Muay Thai "wai kru", setting a new world record for a mass performance of the pre-fight dance of respect for a boxer's coach, in Prachuap Khiri Khan on Monday evening.

15:23