Prison visit ban extended

Prison visit ban extended

Corrections Department director-general Narat Svetanan (centre).
Corrections Department director-general Narat Svetanan (centre).

The Corrections Department has extended its ban on visits to prisoners for another month, until May 31.

Director-general Narat Svetanan said on Thursday the extension corresponded with the government's extension of the state of emergency for another month to control the spread of coronavirus disease. 

Relatives and prisoners could instead communicate through the Line chat app, but relatives must not post online the recordings of the communications. Violators would be banned from online visits, he said.

The chief also said there were no new cases of Covid-19 infection in prisons.

There had been five to date - two prisoners who had already recovered, and three prison officials, one of whom had recovered, he said.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (1)

US recovering balloon debris, won't return to China: W.House

WASHINGTON - The United States is in the process of recovering debris from the Chinese balloon out of the Atlantic for analysis by intelligence experts and there is no plan to give the remains back to Beijing, the White House said Monday.

02:45

Silent phones, freezing rain and anguish in Turkey quake

SANLIURFA (TURKEY) - A stream of cars crawled north out of the shattered city of Sanliurfa, taking traumatised residents a little further from the scene of Turkey's most powerful earthquake in decades.

02:45

Five Argentine rugby players sentenced to life for shocking murder

DOLORES (ARGENTINA) - A court in Argentina on Monday sentenced five amateur rugby players from the same team to life imprisonment for beating a teenager to death in a crime with alleged racist undertones.

01:45