Conscription delayed until August
The Defence Ministry has delayed the annual military draft period until August due to Covid-19, and said young men who received conscription notices should contact recruitment offices ahead of the draft process.
Approximately 100,000 men aged 21 or more are drafted annually. This year's conscription for all three branches of the armed forces was originally scheduled for April 1 to 12, but has now been pushed back.
Col Sirichan Ngathong, a deputy army spokesman, said the military draft is now scheduled for July 23-Aug 31. More time was given due to limited capacity and to comply with social distancing rules.
Col Sirichan said those who received conscription notices, known as Sor Dor 35, must report to recruitment offices from June 26 to July 22 to receive a new drafting schedule.
The men are then required to state whether they will volunteer to join the armed services, take part in the draft or apply to postpone their service. They will be be called in separately.
Under the Military Service Act, all Thais who reach the age of 21 are required to take register for the military draft. Those who do not volunteer must take part in the ballot.
Men subject to this year's draft are those born in 1999 and also those born between 1991 and 1998 who previously obtained a postponement to continue their education.