Insurgents charged over Pattani bombings
Authorities yesterday arrested and charged six insurgents suspected of planting two bombs which injured four villagers in Pattani last week.
The suspects comprise a 56-year-old male and his two sons, aged 27 and 30, a 33-year-old male, a 35-year-old female, and a 30-year-old male with a criminal record, police said at a press conference yesterday.
Their names were not released at the press conference. All six suspects have been charged with planting explosives with the intention to injure and/or kill others.
According to the police, the first bomb exploded on a road in Mae Lan district on July 14. The second bomb exploded on July 15 near a military base in Panare district.
Investigators said the bombs were improvised explosive devices which weighed about 20 kilogrammes each.
The explosives were concealed in 5-kg gas cylinders and were remotely detonated with a radio signal with the intention of injuring and killing officers, they said.
However, investigators said, the bomb ended up injuring four passing villagers instead, who were innocent victims in the conflict.
The bombs bore similar marks to past insurgent attacks, as investigators found the word "Patani" painted at the location of the bombings. This reflects their intention of carrying similar attacks in the future, the press conference was told.
Patrolling officers have been warned to be vigilant as authorities received information that insurgents have brought more than ten bombs to the area.