No progress in brothel case
Anti-human trafficking advocates are calling on the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) to indict the owner of the Victoria Secret brothel for human trafficking, amid fears the case could affect the country's anti-human trafficking status.
Chairman of the Ronnasit Foundation, Ronnasit Proeksayajiva, said the OAG had taken an unclear stance on the Victoria Secret massage parlour, believed to be owned by Kampol Wirathepsuporn.
Mr Ronnasit yesterday met Ramrung Worawat, deputy permanent secretary for social development and human security, and deputy government spokeswoman Rachada Dhnadirek, to discuss the country's human trafficking situation and a report submitted to Washington.
He asked why investigators have not applied for an Interpol red notice against Mr Kampol, who is on the run.
An anti-human trafficking network has been monitoring progress in the Victoria Secret case and legal action against the parlour's owner for more than three years, he said.
A total of 13 anti-human trafficking organisations have submitted a letter to the prosecution to ask why Nipa and Tanapol Wirathepsuporn, Mr Kampol's wife and son, escaped indictment even though they were also accused of being involved in the case.
Mr Ronnasit said the Appeal Court's order to treat the Victoria Secret case as human trafficking could mean that those involved had committed human trafficking offences.
The activist added that he believed the Victoria Secret case would affect the country's human trafficking reputation as perceived by the international community, especially the US, which was reportedly monitoring the case.
The Victoria Secret massage parlour was raided on Jan 12, 2018 and it was later revealed that minors and migrant workers had been forced to become sex workers on the premises.