Reporter infected, press corps banned from Govt House
published : 14 Sep 2021 at 16:06
writer: Mongkol Bangprapa
Reporters covering the Government House beat were told to leave the premises immediately on Tuesday and work from home until Sept 24 after one of them was found infected with Covid-19.
A reporter from a news agency underwent Covid testing with an antigen test kit on Tuesday and the result was positive.
The reporter had began working at Government House on Monday, covering Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon, and had been in close contact with other reporters.
During the previous week, the reporter had covered political rallies.
Immediately upon learning of the test result, Natreeya Taweewong, adviser to the prime minister and acting director of the Office of the Government Spokesmen, asked reporters there to cover the weekly cabinet meeting to pack up and leave, and said the premises would be disinfected.
She advised them to work from home until Sept 24. They could return to Government House for their routine rounds on Sept 27, when they must have an ATK antigen test result confirming they were negative for Covid-19.
Ms Natreeya said Gen Prayut's trips to Chai Nat on Sept 15 and Chon Buri on Sept 17 were still on as scheduled, but reporters would not be allowed to cover the visits. The government spokesman's office would supply them with coverage and pictures of the visits via LINE app.
Government House was earlier closed for two months due to Covid-19 worries. It reopened only on Sept 1 to reporters, under strict social distancing and other health safety rules.