Prominent scholar Saneh dies at 94

Prominent scholar Saneh dies at 94

Renowned scholar and former chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Saneh Chamarik died aged 94 on Saturday. Funeral bathing rites will be held at Wat Thep Sirintharawat on Sunday.

Born on July 11, 1927, he finished high school at Wat Rajabopit School. He graduated from Thammasat University in 1948 before receiving a master's degree in business administration from the University of Manchester in 1957.

He started his career as a lecturer at Thammasat University's faculty of political science in 1960 and continued teaching there until his retirement in 1987.

He was a member of the National Legislative Assembly from 1973 to 1974 and he went on to co-found the Union for Civil Liberty in 1975. He was also appointed as vice-rector of Thammasat University in 1975.

A prominent researcher, Saneh also served as chairman of the Foundation for the Promotion of Social Sciences and Humanities Textbooks Project, and director of the Thai Khadi Research Institute at Thammasat University, among other positions he held. After his retirement, he served as chairman of the NHRC between 2001 and 2009.

Social critic Sulak Sivaraksa offered condolences on Facebook over the passing of Saneh, saying Saneh was a high-calibre scholar who was fully devoted to educating his students.

Do you like the content of this article?

Most say student loans should be interest-free with no fines for defaults: poll

A majority of people agree with a bill to amend the Student Loan Fund (SLF) Act to exempt debtors from interest and fines for defaults, according to the result of an opinion survey by the National Institute of Development Administration, or Nida Poll.


Japanese tourist drowns in Phangnga

PHANG-NGA: A Japanese tourist drowned after going swimming in the sea in front of a hotel in Takua Pa district of this southern coastal province on Saturday, the Thai Maritime Enforcement Command Centre (THAI-MECC) Region 3 reported.


Riot at football match

At least 127 people died at a football stadium in Indonesia when fans invaded the pitch late on Saturday and police responded with tear gas, triggering a stampede.