22 royal Leicas auction achieves 214 million baht
published : 1 Oct 2022 at 10:06
Twenty-two charitable foundations received a total of 214 million baht from the auction for 22 royal Leica M10-P cameras. The auction took place at the Sustainability Expo (SX) 2022, held at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center (QSNCC) on Friday night.
The limited-edition camera campaign was the initiative of Thapana Sirivadhanabhakdi, the CEO of ThaiBev, Thailand’s largest beverage company, who was a former president of the Thailand Photography Association.
Mr Thapana saw the campaign as a way of celebrating the Royal Coronation of King Vajiralongkorn.
Thirty gold-plated Leica cameras were produced with the King’s Royal Coronation emblem. There were 21 cameras - four cameras in yellow crocodile leather and 17 green crocodile leather - placed for auction on Friday night. One more yellow camera will be up for auction in Singapore later.
In the Bangkok auction, a Hong Kong businessman won the auction of two cameras with the highest price in the auction event at 25 million baht for a yellow one. He also won a green camera with the price of 5 million baht.
"I came to join the action because these cameras are very unique with special edition and can't buy from outside (Thailand) and importantly, it is for charity that I'm happy to donate," said Terence Cheung, the businessman from Hong Kong.
The auction results are as following.
Four yellow cameras:
- 25 million baht for Friend in Need (of "PA") Volunteers Foundation, Thai Red Cross.
- 20 million baht for Phatcharasutha Khachanurak Foundation under Royal Patronage, Ratchathan Pansuk Foundation, and Phubodin Foundation under Royal Patronage.
- 16 million baht for Rajaprajanugroh Foundation under Royal Patronage.
- 15 million baht for Foundation for the Crown Prince Hospitals.
17 green cameras:
- 15 million baht for MDCU Foundation (the foundation organised by the Faculty of Medicine at Chulalongkorn University).
- 12 million baht for Bhumirajanagarindra Kidney Institute Foundation.
- 11 million baht for Chaipattana Foundation.
- 10 million baht for General Prem Tinsulanonda Statesman Foundation.
- 9.5 million baht for Foundation for the Blind in Thailand under Royal Patronage.
- 9 million baht for Police General Hospital Foundation under Royal Patronage.
- 8.5 million baht for Unicef Thailand.
- 8.5 million baht for Suan Dok Hospital Foundation.
- 8 million baht for Phramongkutklao Hospital Foundation.
- 7 million baht for Ramathibodi Foundation.
- 7 million baht for Siriraj Foundation.
- 6.5 million baht for The Royal Photographic Society of Thailand.
- 5.5 million baht for the To Be Number One project.
- 5.5 million baht for Chulabhorn Research Institute Foundation.
- 5 million baht for the Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn Scholarship Foundation.
- 5 million baht Mae Fah Luang Foundation under Royal Patronage.
- 5 million baht for Queen Savang Vadhana Foundation.