Three massacre survivors released from hospital, seven remain
published : 7 Oct 2022 at 15:29
writer: Online Reporters
Three of the 10 injured survivors of the attack on a preschool in Nong Bua Lam Phu province have been discharged from hospital.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Friday that seven people now remained in hospital and were under close medical monitoring.
Forensic experts were helping with the autopsies on the 37 slain victims, which were being completed on Friday morning. The bodies could soon be handed over to relatives for religious rites, Mr Anutin said.
Fifteen officials of the Mental Health Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (MCATT) had been sent to heal and assess the mental well-being of people affected by Thursday's mass homocide at Na Klang district of Nong Bua Lam Phu province, he said.
Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, permanent secretary for health, and Dr Amporn Benjapholphithak, director-general of the Department of Mental Health, accompanied the minister in visiting the injured at Udon Thani Hospital.
Mr Anutin said five of the remaining injured were being treated at Nong Bua Lam Phu Hospital. Four underwent surgery and were in the hospital’s intensive care unit. One child with only minor injuries had to remain at hospital as his injured mother was still under treatment.
At Udon Thani Hospital there were two injured survivors, a child and an adult. The child suffered serious head injuries, underwent surgery on Thursday and was in intensive care. The adult had been transferred from Nong Bua Lam Phu Hospital to Udon Thani Hospital on Friday morning, Mr Anutin said.
Dr Opas said the 50-member MCATT would assess what counseling was needed by relatives of the victims and those who survived the killer's rampage. Even if not physically injured, they could have psychological damage, he said.