Army reclaims 1,000 rai in Korat

Army reclaims 1,000 rai in Korat

NAKHON RATCHASIMA — Soldiers from the 2nd Army Region on Monday reclaimed about 1,000 rai of land from villagers who had encroached on a forest reserve in Sikhiu district on Monday.

A combined team of officials from the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission, the Royal Forest Department (RFD) and soldiers inspected Moo 12 village of Ban Nong Pak Boong in tambon Mittraparb following a complaint that a vast area of the Pak Chong-Moo See national forest reserve had been invaded.  

The team led by Col Sommai Busaba, head of the Second Army's legal team, discovered that the villagers had felled trees to build houses and a three-kilometre concrete road up the hill to their village. They also grew cash crops such as cassava and mangoes and raised red deer to sell their antlers.

Col Sommai said the inspection found more than 100 families had encroached upon about 1,000 rai of the forest reserve. He said most of the encroachers had bought the annual land tax payment documents known as Por Bor Tor 5 from villagers who previously lived in the area 17 years ago and mistook them as land ownership documents which could not be approved. 

The occupants had been ordered to raze their houses and other structures and leave the forest area within 45 days, Col Sommai said, adding police will take charge of legal action against them.

   

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (13)

Activists call for major anti-Prayut rally on Saturday

Pro-democracy protest leaders have called for people to wear black for seven days and to rally at Victory Monument on Saturday to express their rejection of the Constitutional Court ruling that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's term has not reached its eight-year limit.

20:02

Pheu Thai disagrees with Prayut ruling

The opposition Pheu Thai Party has expressed disagreement with the reasoning behind the Constitutional Court ruling that Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha’s tenure as prime minister did not begin until 2017.

19:48

12 sailors die on ship off Vietnam

HANOI: Twelve Chinese sailors have died and nine others are critically ill after a suspected case of food poisoning on board their vessel near southern Con Dao island in Vietnam, a rescue official and state media said on Friday.

19:01