Prawit: Submarine purchase 'still on'
Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon denied Tuesday that the navy's submarine procurement project was being suspended or stalled.
Gen Prawit said he had asked the navy, which plans to buy three Chinese submarines valued at 36 billion baht, to rework its funding plan and explain to the public why the vessels are necessary.
He said the scheme would be submitted to the cabinet for consideration "when the time is right".
Gen Prawit said that, as defence minister, he backs the navy's plan to have a submarine fleet to help with its missions.
The navy's project was on the cabinet agenda last week but withdrawn amid a report the Defence Ministry wanted the navy to spread payments for the submarines over 10 years rather than seven.