Prosecutors brace for bomb suspects' trial
Police on Tuesday forwarded an 8,000-page investigation report into August's Bangkok bombings to military prosecutors seeking the indictments of suspects Bilal Turk and Yusufu Mieraili.
Investigators are confident the suspects will be indicted due to strong evidence, said assistant national police chief Srivara Ransibrahmanakulm, adding they had already discussed the case behind closed doors with military prosecutors.
The motive for the blast was not linked to the Uighurs, he said, but refused to give further details, saying it was only mentioned in general in the report.
The report was divided into four sections for alleged offences which took place in the jurisdictions of Lumpini, Yannawa, Nong Chok and Min Buri police.
Prosecutors are seeking to indict the suspects for seven different offences, according to Pol Maj Gen Chayapol Chatchaidet, commander of Metropolitan Police Division 6.
The charges include: premeditated murder, attempted murder, making bombs that caused deaths and injuries and damaged properties, malicious damage, possessing unauthorised explosives, carrying explosives in a public place and possessing military hardware without a permit.
The Erawan shrine bombing on Aug 17 killed 20 people and wounded 130. No one was harmed in the Sathon pier explosion the following day.
Mr Karadag allegedly admitted to planting a bomb-laden backpack at the shrine and Mr Mieraili allegedly confessed to detonating it.
If more people are found to be linked with the bombings later, they will be added to the report, Pol Lt Gen Srivara said.
The pair, who are being held at the 11th Military Circle, were among 17 people wanted under arrest warrants approved by the Bangkok Military Court.
Pol Maj Gen Chayapol said investigators will later bring more charges against Mr Karadag and Mr Mieraili, but declined to elaborate.