Tourist compensated for Phuket snake bite
published : 11 Jan 2016 at 10:32
writer: Achadthaya Chuenniran
PHUKET -- A 29-year-old Chinese woman who was bitten by a python she was posing with for a photo has accepted the 135,000 baht compensation offered by the organiser of the snake show.
The incident happened on Sunday when the Chinese tourist visited a shop run by Phuket Bio Technology in tambon Chalong of Muang district which sells medicinal herbs and provides a free snake show.
After the show the snake handler offered tourists the opportunity to have their pictures taken with a python, a non-poisonous snake. The Chinese woman accepted, but while she was posing with the snake it bit her on the nose. The wound required five stiches.
Mediated by Somsak Saengkaew, a senior assistant Muang district chief, the tourist agreed to take 135,000 baht as compensation from the shop owner.
Santi Pawai, director of the provincial tourism and sports office, who inspected the shop, said he had called a meeting of business operators in the tourism sector in Phuket on Jan 14 to lay down measures to prevent a recurrence of the incident.