Prayut emphatically rejects calls to relinquish power

Prayut emphatically rejects calls to relinquish power

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha forcefully asserts his decision to stay in power throughout the election process, during a news conference at Government House on Friday. (Photo by Chanat Katanyu)
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha forcefully asserts his decision to stay in power throughout the election process, during a news conference at Government House on Friday. (Photo by Chanat Katanyu)

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has bluntly reiterated his rejection of calls by political parties to relinquish administrative power once he decides to run as a party's candidate for the premiership after the general election.

He confirmed his position only hours before the Palang Pracharath Party was due to formally invite him to be a candidate for the prime ministership.

Other parties, including Pheu Thai and the Democrats, have demanded he step down if he accepts a party's invitation, arguing it would boost lagging confidence that all parties would contest the March 24 polls on an equal footing.

"They cannot pressure me," an emotional prime minister told a news conference promoting the government's efforts during the past four years and nine months. "I challenge their call, and I will not quit."

Gen Prayut, who seized power by military coup, said former US president Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping did not step down when they were seeking another term in office.

He also pointed out that the Democrat Party ran the country but still lost to Pheu Thai in the 2011 general election, to substantiate his argument that the incumbent government does not have an edge.

Palang Pracharath leader Utama Savanayana, until this week industry minister in the Prayut cabinet, was to meet with the prime minister after working hours on Friday and ask him to stand as a candidate for the prime ministership.

The party decided on Wednesday to invite him to be one of its three candidates.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (41)

Japan emperor's birthday event cancelled due to virus outbreak

TOKYO: The Imperial Household Agency said Monday it has cancelled a public birthday event for Emperor Naruhito at the Imperial Palace scheduled on the weekend due to concern it could contribute to spread of the new coronavirus.

17 Feb 2020

Save Phu Kradueng

One of the most popular national parks was ravaged by a bushfire until it was brought under control 18 hours later.

17 Feb 2020

Ex-Pheu Thai boss jailed for two years

Former Pheu Thai leader Yongyuth Wichaidit will serve two years in jail after the Court of Appeal denied his request to appeal its ruling last year that found him guilty of allowing the sale of monastic land to make way for the Alpine golf course.

17 Feb 2020