Majority doubt PPRP-led govt will complete 4-year term: Suan Dusit Poll

Majority doubt PPRP-led govt will complete 4-year term: Suan Dusit Poll

(Graphic from Suan Dusit Poll)
(Graphic from Suan Dusit Poll)

A majority of people disagree with the Democrat and Bhumjaithai parties for joining the government led by the Palang Pracharath Party (PPRP) and believe the coalition will not survive the four-year term, according to Suan Dusit Poll.

The poll was carried out by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University on June 6-8 on 1,128 people throughout the country after the joint session of parliament voted to elect the new prime minister on June 5, with the Democrat and Bhumjaithai parties finally having decided to join the PPRP-led coalition.

Asked what they think about the Democrat Party joining the coalition, a majority -- 63.32% -- said they were disappointed with it for going against the party ideology; 24.24% thought the party is aiming to take important cabinet portfolios; and 21.29% said it is complying with a party resolution.

However, 61.79% support the Democrat Party setting pre-conditions for joining the coalition while the rest -- 38.21% -- disagreed, saying that they were merely an excuse for breaking its word.

Asked about Bhumjaithai joining the coalition, 58.20% said the party is breaking its campaign promise; 26.36% thought it is joining the winning side in the party's interests; and 19.84% said they don't mind as long as it adheres to its policies.

Asked whether they think the new government will complete its four-year term, a large majority -- 73.65% -- believed it would be unable to do so, while 26.35% thought it would be able to complete the term since the constitution was designed for it to continue the work of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), with support from the 250 senators.

Of those who thought the government would not complete the four-year term, 34.07% said it would stay less than one year; 20.02% less than six months; 12.95% less than two years; and 6.61% less than 18 months.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

China seeks to join TPP free trade pact to boost Asia clout

BEIJING: China on Friday began in earnest work to advance its application to become a member of the Trans-Pacific Partnership free trade deal, a day after filing a bid to join the pact in an attempt to increase its economic clout in the Asia-Pacific region.

11:07

Phuket reports 5 more Covid deaths, 238 new cases

PHUKET: Five more Covid-19 deaths and another 238 infections, two of them from the Phuket sandbox programme, were reported in this island province.

11:06

Giant sequoias wrapped in foil protection against US forest fires

LOS ANGELES: The world's biggest trees were being wrapped in fire-proof blankets Thursday in an effort to protect them from huge blazes tearing through the drought-stricken western United States.

09:15