Opposition mulls legal action in wake of censure debate

Opposition mulls legal action in wake of censure debate

The four-day no-confidence debate began on Aug 31 targeting Gen Prayut and five other cabinet members. (Parliament photo).
The four-day no-confidence debate began on Aug 31 targeting Gen Prayut and five other cabinet members. (Parliament photo).

The opposition is planning to pursue legal action against Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and some cabinet ministers in connection with the no-confidence debate last week, said chief opposition whip Sutin Klungsang.

All six opposition parties have decided to seek legal action against Gen Prayut and some of the ministers targeted in the censure motion.

Gen Prayut and five ministers were named in the motion and survived the censure. The ministers were Anutin Charnvirakul, deputy prime minister and public health minister; Saksayam Chidchob, transport minister; Chalermchai Sri-on, agriculture and cooperatives minister; Suchart Chomklin, labour minister; and Chaiwut Thana­kamanusorn, digital economy and society minister.

On Wednesday, Mr Sutin said the opposition was satisfied with its MPs' performance in the debate.

It had expected the premier and the ministers to pull through the motion as no government in the past has been defeated in a no-confidence vote.

However, the debate was fraught with irregularities, including how the government managed to muster confidence votes from its MPs.

During the debate, Wisarn Techathirawat, a Pheu Thai MP for Chiang Rai, accused Gen Prayut of paying five million baht to some MPs in exchange for votes of support. The government has since said it will file criminal action against Mr Wisarn over the accusation.

Mr Sutin said the prime minister and his ministers failed to provide clear answers to many censure queries, including the purchasing price of the Sinovac vaccine and details of the purchase deal.

The procurement of antigen test kits also raised questions, to which the government did not adequately respond, he added.

He said the opposition has solid evidence in the five-million-baht payoff, adding a complaint will be lodged with the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Constitutional Court.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (38)

53 illegal migrants from Myanmar arrested

KANCHANABURI: Fifty-three Myanmar nationals travelling in three vehicles were arrested at a checkpoint in Sai Yok district on Sunday, police said.

11:14

Thousands on alert in Indonesia's Java after Mt Semeru eruption

JAKARTA: Thousands of residents in Indonesia's East Java were on high alert on Monday after a violent eruption at the island's tallest volcano prompted authorities to impose an 8-kilometre no-go zone and forced evacuations of entire villages.

11:00

E-tickets for traffic violations in use since May

Police started issuing e-tickets for traffic violations in May this year using an electronic database system, Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Maj Gen Achayon Kraithong said on the Facebook page of the police information office.

10:11