Weird suicides usher in New Year

Weird suicides usher in New Year

Strange suicides ushered in the first few days of the New Year with a gay guard killing his lover and then himself, a man who jumped to his death landing on a woman shopper and breaking her back and a foreigner reported to have drowned himself in a plastic bag.

In the northern province of Chiang Rai, an unidentified foreigner iwas reported to have committed suicide in a bizarre way, putting his head in a water-filled plastic bag and then sealing it with a copper wire around his neck.

His body was found in a grass field about 300 metres from the Thai-Myanmar border in Mae Faa Luang district on Thursday.

A soldier patrolling the area found the body and alerted the police.

There was no identification on the body. Police said the deceased was a Caucasian male, probably aged 25 to 30 years. He had been dead for two to three days.

Police said the dead man's head was in a plastic bag full of water and secured around his neck with a copper wire.

A preliminary investigation of the scene found no trace of anything that would suggest he had been murdered, police said. There were no signs of a struggle.

Police also found his belongings, a wallet with 600 baht in it, a phone, a tablet PC, and a pocket knife, and a motorcycle neatly covered with a sheet parked near his body. Police believe that the bike was rented.

Police said they had not ruled out murder and were waiting the autopsy results. They would further examine the items found with him in the hope they would provide clues to help identify the man.

Netizens were sceptical.

In Bangkok, a man suffering from depression jumped to his death from a three-storey shopping mall building and a woman standing below was seriously injured when he landed on her.

Police said Police said Komsan Jupamattang, 36, leapt from the top of a shopping mall in Bangkok's Bangkae district on Thursday. His head was turned around 180 degrees by the impact of his landing.

Just before the man's body made it to the ground it hit Issariyaporn Pongkaew, 28, who was buying a handbag from a vendor.

Ms Issariyaporn was knocked out and suffered a broken back. She was rushed to Kasemrad Hospital.

Police said Komsan parked his motorcycle in the parking lot on the third floor of the building before he plunged  to his death.

Police suspected the man suffered from depression. They found five packets for anti-depressant medication with his name on them in his clothes. 

The body was sent for a post-mortem examination at Siriraj hospital.

Police will summon his relatives for questioning.

Meanwhile, two gay hotel security guards who were also lovers fought to tghe death in an argument fuelled by jealousy.

Pol Capt Songpol Nimpaiboon of Phra Ratchawang police station said he received a report of the incident at a luxury 24-storey hotel in Bangkok's Phra Nakhon district on Thursday night. 

On arrival, police found Wittawas Saeng-ard, 28, lying dead in a pool of blood on the rooftop. There were at least 10 stab wounds on his body.

The other guard, Sinchai Neesantier, 52, was found dead on the first floor lobby roof. His body was almost torn in half and his arms and legs were broken.

Witnesses at the hotel told investigators that the two men were lovers and had frequent arguments. Witnesses also heard Sinchai recently tell Wittawas, who was good looking, that if he cheated on him he would kill him and then commit suicide.

On Thursday night the two men were seen arguing at the rooftop of the hotel. Sinchai wildly stabbed his lover to death and later jumped off the building, landing on the lobby roof, below police said.

In Chiang Mai province, a pregnant Karen tribeswoman hanged herself inside her home on Thursday because she believed her husband had abandoned her.

Police said the growing tension between Daraporn Pudok, who was three months pregnant, and her husband was likely the motive for the suicide. 

Daraporn's husband went out drinking on the New Year and had refused to return home. The 24-year-old woman apparently felt hurt and rejected, and decided to end her life.

In Nakhon Si Thammarat province, an affluent money lender has been found drowned in a fish pond, and her father believes she committed suicide because was distressed at not being able to collect debts owed her.

Police reported that the body of Supatcha Thongliamnak, 41 was pulled out from a large fish pond in tambon Chamai of Thung Song district. There were no signs of a struggle on her body.

Her father, Chom Thongliamnak, 73, told the police that his daughter owned a dessert shop owner, but also made her living by lending money to local people, between 10,000 and 100,000 baht to each borrower. 

Recently, Supatcha had experienced some difficulties collecting the payments,  and had even been abused by some of the borrowers, Mr Chom said.

Do you like the content of this article?

Al-Shabaab gunmen attack Mogadishu hotel, casualties reported

MOGADISHU - Al-Shabaab fighters attacked a hotel in the Somali capital Mogadishu in a hail of gunfire and explosions on Friday, with casualties reported, security sources and witnesses said.


Literature world holds New York rally for Rushdie

NEW YORK - Prominent literary figures including Paul Auster and Gay Talese gathered Friday in Manhattan for a reading of Salman Rushdie's works, in solidarity with the author seriously injured in a stabbing attack.


Baldwin expects no charges over fatal movie set accident

LOS ANGELES - US actor Alec Baldwin said he does not believe anyone will be criminally charged over the fatal shooting on the set of Western film "Rust," telling CNN he has hired a private investigator to assess culpability for the tragedy.