Suthep gives PM ultimatum before military leaders

Suthep gives PM ultimatum before military leaders

Anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban on Sunday night gave Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra an ultimatum of two days to return power to people.

The main intersection near the Metropolitan Police Bureau turned into a battleground for hours Sunday as police officers fired tear gas at thousands of anti-government protesters who tried unsuccessfully to break through barricades to seize the MPB. (Photo by Thiti Wannamontha)

Mr Suthep told a press conference before protesters at Government House that the prime minister was given the two-day ultimatum in a meeting that took place at about 8.30pm.

The meeting was held before all armed forces leaders including Army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, he said.

Mr Suthep said the meeting at an undisclosed location was not to negotiate with Ms Yingluck. The talks were to spell out the stance of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) which is aimed at political reform by the People's Council.

The resignation of the prime minister and a House dissolution was not enough to satisfy the protesters, he said.

"There was no negotiation and no compromise," he said, stressing that it would be the last meeting between the two.

"This is the only one and there will be no more until a victory for the people,'' he said.

There was no immediate confirmation of Mr Suthep's speech, either from the armed forces or from Ms Yingluck or her office.

Mr Suthep said the armed forces also made clear their position that they stand by the nation.

"People are waiting for your decision," the protest leader said he told the generals.

He did not say what armed forces leaders were present at the meeting. Earlier Sunday, army commander Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha had called for talks between Mr Suthep and Ms Yingluck, who also is defence minister.

The meeting was the first time that the top military leaders had become involved since Mr Suthep led the rally for a month to end the Thaksin regime.

A summary of Sunday's events on the barricades follows this photo.

Anti-government protesters try to dismantle a concrete barricade at Chamai Maruchet Bridge near Government House on Sunday. The clashes prompted armed force leaders to call a meeting between protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Sunday night. (Photo by Patipat Janthong)

Here is a summary of the rest of the events of Sunday, Dec 1:

Do you like the content of this article?

Eight dead in weekend avalanches in Austria

VIENNA - Austrian police said Sunday that five people had been killed in avalanches in the west of the country, after three deaths were reported Saturday despite pleas for caution on ski slopes.


Cops raid spa linked to fugitive Kampol

Sutthisan police have raided one of two unregistered massage parlours in the Ratchadaphisek area linked to Kampol Wirathepsuporn, a suspect who fled the country after his massage parlour was shut down over a human trafficking case.


Fierce battles in Bakhmut as Russian missiles hit Kharkiv

BAKHMUT, Ukraine: Heavy fighting was underway Sunday in the northern parts of the frontline hotspot Bakhmut, while Russian missile strikes on Ukraine's second-largest city Kharkiv wounded five people.