PDRC lodges stadium clash complaint

PDRC lodges stadium clash complaint

Riot police accused of theft, damaging property

Seven anti-government protesters yesterday lodged a complaint with the police's Counter Corruption Division following the clash between demonstrators and police at the Thai-Japanese Stadium last month.

The complaint targets national police chief Adul Saengsingkaew, his deputy Worapong Chiewpreecha and riot police officers at the stadium on Dec 26.

The officers were accused of acting unlawfully, theft and property damage.

The group, accompanied by anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) lawyer Viroj Phumisirisawat, also brought evidence to the officers, including photos and video clips.

Sudarat Chaisrimawong, 42, one of the complainants, said her Nissan Navara with an emergency medical service sticker displayed clearly on its windscreen was smashed by the police.

The vehicle carried water bottles for the protesters suffering from tear gas inhalation, Ms Sudarat said.

She was not in the vehicle during the police attack.

She found out later her vehicle was damaged and her iPad and 30,000 baht in cash in a shoulder bag were missing.

Ms Sudarat said she and other victims tried to file complaints with Din Daeng police but the officers turned them down.

"I felt terribly disturbed by the police reaction, as it went too far," she said, referring to the attack on her car.

Another complainant, Somnuek Chaisiri, 47, said his vehicle was also damaged and he took pictures and video clips of the attacks as evidence.

Complainant Surapon Eiad-suwan, 50, said he tried to help other demonstrators when tear gas was fired at 9am.

He was hit by an object and saw his head was bleeding and believed it was the impact from a tear gas canister.

Meanwhile, a 20-year-old Myanmar worker was wounded in a gun attack near the PDRC's Ratchadamnoen Avenue rally site yesterday morning, police said.

The attack took place on Tanao Road near Khok Wua Intersection at 5.30am.

Tun Tun Oo, who works at a bakery shop in the Phutthamonthon area, was shot and injured as he was picking up bread at a shop.

A bullet was believed to have entered his chest and exited through his back.

He is in a safe condition.

Metropolitan Police Bureau deputy traffic commissioner Adul Narongsak said there were also two giant firecracker attacks and five gunshots fired near the Education Ministry on Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue at 10.20pm on Sunday.

One of the gunshots was aimed at police, but no one was hurt, he said.

Pol Maj Gen Adul added investigators have sought a warrant for the arrest of Sura Chaonet, a 31-year-old Nakhon Si Thammarat resident, accused of stealing a police handgun.

Mr Sura told investigators he brought the gun from a soldier he named as Pvt Kitti Mahaklan.

The pistol was stolen from the car of Nakhon Sawan deputy commander Chukiat Wongsithikarn, who parked the vehicle at the Labour Ministry near the stadium during the clashes on Dec 26, Pol Maj Gen Adul said.

Do you like the content of this article?

GDP growth slows to 0.1% in Q3

Thailand's trade-dependent economy grew at its slowest quarterly rate in a year in the third quarter, official data showed on Monday, leading the government to cut this year's growth estimate once again.


ONWR seeks measures for dry season

A national water management panel wants the Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives Ministry to draw up measures to accommodate the annual rice crop without affecting the water disbursement plan for the 2019-2020 dry season.


Cash rebate scheme 'too complicated'

The third phase of the Chim, Shop, Chai or "Taste, Shop, Spend" scheme reserved specially for seniors started with a whimper rather than a bang, with qualifying residents saying the scheme is too complicated for members of their age group.