'Poisoned drink' handed to soldier
published : 27 May 2014 at 17:02
writer: Online Reporters
A soldier at a checkpoint on Rama 2 Road was lucky to avoid serious illness or death when he was offered a poisoned bottle of green tea by a bystander, his commander said on Tuesday.
The soldier noticed that the liquid in the bottom of the bottle looked strange, and decided not to drink it, Maj Gen Pairoj Thongma-eng, chief of the 9th Infantry Division said. When the contents were later examined it was discovered a "poison" had been added to the liquid.
Maj Gen Pairoj said the incident occured late on Monday night.
An initial examination found the "green tea" was thick and sticky, and was mixed with a poisonous substance, Post Today reported. It was not yet known what type of chemical had been added.
It was believed the poisoner used a syringe to inject the foreign substance near the bottom of the bottle, and then hot-glued the hole.
Soldiers of the 31st Infantry Regiment, King's Guard, were also given bottles of fake energy drink by ill-intentioned people, Maj Gen Pairoj said, but did not explain further.