EC to sue over Feb 2 polls
published : 21 Dec 2014 at 16:10
writer: Online Reporters
The Election Commission is gathering evidence and information in an effort to seek compensation from those responsible for having the Feb 2 election ruled unconstitutional, commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said on Sunday.
Mr Somchai, who is in charge of election administration, said the damage from the election being ruled null and void was around 3 billion baht.
The EC stands firm in its objective of organising elections which are cost effective, he said, and the money spent on the poll must not be spent for nothing. And an election must not lead to casualties or unrest in the country.
Mr Somchai said prior to the Feb 2 election, the EC had tried to warn the then government that if it was held, it would risk being nullified because there were no candidates running in 28 constituencies in eight southern provinces.
The government did not heed the EC's warning and instead said the EC was only predicting in advance what would happen.
Since the Feb 2 election had been invalidated, there must be people held responsible for the damage.
The EC was gathering evidence to demand compensation for the damage from whoever is responsible, he said.
Asked whether he meant the Yingluck Shinawatra government, Mr Somchai said he did not know for sure and would not name anyone yet.
He said this would only be known when the EC issued a statement on its action regarding the issue.