Somyot: Bomb warrants expected soon
published : 2 Feb 2015 at 15:23
writer: Online Reporters
National police chief Somyot Pumpunmuang is confident that, with many pieces of evidence in hand, authorities soon will issue warrants for the arrest of those responsible for the two bombs that exploded in front of Bangkok’s Siam Paragon shopping mall Sunday night.
A police forensics-team member photographs evidence at the scene of Sunday's bombing outside Bangkok's Siam Paragon mall. (Photo by Thanarak Khunton)
Speaking at a press conference Monday, Pol Gen Somyot said that the police would not rule out any possible motives for the bombing, including politically driven intent to create tension and chaos among the public.
Asked whether it would be necessary for soldiers to support police operations, Gen Somyot said he did not believe so. He added that he was considering putting more officers in plainclothes to ease public anxiety about large numbers of uniformed police.
Gen Prawit Wongsuwon, the deputy prime minister in charge of security affairs, previously instructed police to closely monitor crowded areas, such as department stores, theatres, transit stations and places frequented by foreigners or tourists, said the police chief.
Pol Gen Somyot noted that officials have agreed to make Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, the police spokesman, the only person to provide future information on the progress of the investigation.