Protest victims to get B120m in redress pay

Protest victims to get B120m in redress pay

Compensation spans strife of 2013-2014

Volunteers clear the blood away from an attack on the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) protest in which three people were killed and two wounded. The cabinet voted on Tuesday to give victims and families of the 2013-14 Bangkok Shutdown violence a total of 120 million baht in compensation. (Bangkok Post file photo)
Volunteers clear the blood away from an attack on the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) protest in which three people were killed and two wounded. The cabinet voted on Tuesday to give victims and families of the 2013-14 Bangkok Shutdown violence a total of 120 million baht in compensation. (Bangkok Post file photo)

The government agreed Tuesday to spend 120 million baht to compensate victims who were affected during political demonstrations during 2013-2014, a source at Government House said.

The cabinet approved the funds from the annual budget to provide assistance for victims who were killed and injured in the protests.

A total of 862 people were killed and injured during the period, comprising 28 deaths and 834 injuries.

According to the source, the government will pay 400,000 baht each to the families of the deceased. The same amount will also be paid to the victims who were disabled in the violence and require physical therapy and 200,000 baht for the disabled who don't need regular treatment, the source said.

The government will also compensate injured victims 100,000 baht, 60,000 baht and 20,000 baht respectively based on the severity of their condition. Aside from injuries and death, children of affected victims will also receive monthly expenses and educational scholarships.

The Department of Social Development and Welfare (DSDW) was instructed to oversee the compensation for casualties while expenses for their children will be the responsibility of the Permanent Secretary's Office (PSO) at the Education Ministry.

Another one million baht was also allocated to the DSDW, the Education Ministry's PSO, and the Prime Minister's Office to cover the cost of handling the compensation scheme.

The source said the package was approved based on the cabinet decision in 2008 to help victims of political protests. The measure was also approved in line with the 2011 Compensation and Expense to Injured Persons and the Accused in Criminal Cases Act, the 1992 Road Accident Victim Protection Act, the 1990 Social Security Act and also a measure to provide assistance to those affected by violence in the deep South.  

As for steps to help victims of political protests during 2005-2010, the cabinet agreed not to approve compensation until all legal cases were wrapped up by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC).

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered the Justice Ministry to give updates on the NACC's trial processes and how to hasten their probes into each case.

Previously, the Yingluck government approved compensation of 7.5 million baht each to the families of 524 victims who were killed in political unrest from 2005 to May 2010, for a total of 577 million baht. The Democrat Party said the Yingluck government had a conflict of interest in approving payments, as many recipients backed the red shirts which supported her government.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (2)

Workers race to keep oil from Rayong shores

RAYONG: Hundreds of workers set up oil barriers along beachfronts in this eastern province on Friday as authorities raced to limit the environmental damage from oil that leaked from an underwater pipeline earlier this week.

28 Jan 2022

Taxman to go easy on crypto traders

The Finance Ministry plans to ease tax rules for investments in digital assets, a senior official said on Friday, following a surge in crytocurrency trading.

28 Jan 2022

Hong Kong's best-known travel agency folds after 50 years

HONG KONG: One of Hong Kong's best-known tour operators has decided to wind up after 50 years of business and amid the worsening Omicron outbreak, with an industry leader expecting the travel sector's woes to continue for the rest of 2022 at least.

28 Jan 2022