Myanmar military releases 75 child soldiers from service

Myanmar military releases 75 child soldiers from service

Myanmar soldiers patrol a road in Maungdaw on  Aug 31, 2017. (Reuters photo)
Myanmar soldiers patrol a road in Maungdaw on Aug 31, 2017. (Reuters photo)

YANGON: Myanmar's armed forces released 75 children and young people from military service on Friday, the United Nations said, amid International outrage over alleged abuses committed by troops in the country's numerous ongoing conflicts.

Myanmar has now discharged 924 underage recruits since signing up to a joint action plan on child soldiers with UN agencies in June 2012, said Knut Ostby, the UN resident humanitarian coordinator for Myanmar, and June Kunugi, representative of the UN's children's fund, Unicef, in a joint statement.

The discharge was "one more positive development in the government’s effort to end and prevent the recruitment and use of children within the Tatmadaw," they said.

Both the military - known as the Tatmadaw - and the ethnic guerrilla groups it has been fighting for decades have been blacklisted by the UN for using child soldiers. The United States took Myanmar off its list of the worst offenders in the use of child soldiers in 2017, before reinstating it this year.

The Tatmadaw and seven other groups remained "'persistent perpetrators' in the recruitment and use of children in Myanmar," the UN said.

Spokespeople for the Myanmar military and the government were not immediately available for comment.

Myanmar's military was condemned  internationally for human rights abuses including the recruitment of child soldiers during half a century of military rule.

Allegations of abuses have continued to be levelled against Myanmar soldiers despite a transition from full military rule that saw Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi assume control over the civilian administration in 2016.

In the western Rakhine state, the military has launched harsh crackdowns in response to attacks by Rohingya Muslims insurgents since 2016, sending hundreds of thousands of Rohingya fleeing to neighbouring Bangladesh.

UN-mandated investigators on Monday accused the army chief, Snr Gen Min Aung Hlaing, of overseeing a campaign with “genocidal intent” against the Rohingya and recommended he and other senior officials be prosecuted.

The International Criminal Court is considering whether it has jurisdiction over events in Rakhine, while the US, the European Union and Canada have sanctioned Myanmar military and police officers over the crackdown.



Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (13)

Second move

Graft busters petition court to sack suspended cabinet minister and accused land encroacher Kanokwan Vilawan and ban her from politics for up to 10 years.

18:43

More asset seizures

Authorities seize a luxury resort and cars, worth about 3 billion baht in all, from the alleged Chinese triad boss known as "Tuhao" accused of involvement in the drug trade.

18:21

Torture suspects

Police ask Interpol to help track two Polish men who left the country last month after a savage attack on a Cambodian woman in Pattaya.

18:11