Indonesia confirms first cases of coronavirus

Indonesia confirms first cases of coronavirus

FILE PHOTO: An Indonesian health officials takes temperature readings of arriving passengers amid concerns of the Covid-19 coronavirus at the Jakarta international Airport on Feb 23, 2020. (AFP)
FILE PHOTO: An Indonesian health officials takes temperature readings of arriving passengers amid concerns of the Covid-19 coronavirus at the Jakarta international Airport on Feb 23, 2020. (AFP)

JAKARTA: Indonesian President Joko Widodo said on Monday two Indonesians had tested positive for coronavirus after being in contact with an infected Japanese national, marking the first confirmed cases in the world's fourth most populous country.

The two had been hospitalised in Jakarta, Widodo told reporters at the presidential palace in the capital.

The president said a 64-year-old woman and her 31-year-old daughter had tested positive after being in contact with a Japanese national who lived in Malaysia and had tested positive after returning from a trip to Indonesia.

Widodo said an Indonesian medical team had traced the movements of the Japanese visitor before uncovering the cases.

"After checks, they were in a sick state. This morning I got a report that the mother and the daughter tested positive for coronavirus," said Widodo, who said they were being treated at Jakarta's Sulianti Saroso infectious diseases hospital.

Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto told reporters the Japanese visitor was a friend of the two women's family and had visited their house. He said authorities were checking who else the Japanese visitor may have come into contact with. The confirmation of the first cases of coronavirus came after authorities had defended their screening processes, with some medical experts raising concerns of a lack of vigilance and a risk of undetected cases in the Southeast Asian country of more than 260 million people. 


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

Fire guts 14 houserafts on Khwae Noi

KANCHANABURI: Fire destroyed 14 of the 16 houserafts at a resort on the Khwae Noi river in Sai Yok district on Sunday afternoon, causing about 10 million baht damage. There were no casualties.

10:19

DSI officials deny graft allegation

Three DSI officials suspected in the Nauru consul embezzlement case turned themselves in to police on Saturday, deputy police national chief Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn said.

10:01

Next debate may backfire, academic says

The opposition should be wary of the risk of the upcoming general debate backfiring, an academic has warned.

09:02