5 garment workers killed, scores hurt in Cambodia truck crash

5 garment workers killed, scores hurt in Cambodia truck crash

PHNOM PENH - At least five Cambodian garment workers were killed and nearly 70 injured Tuesday after two trucks carrying the labourers collided, authorities said.

Many of Cambodia's 700,000 garment workers travel to their factories in overcrowded vehicles to save money

The accident took place early Tuesday morning when a truck transporting workers "turned over" after hitting another vehicle, also loaded with factory workers, in southern Kampong Speu province, local governor Ma Savath told AFP.

Thirteen of the 68 injured workers were in critical condition, the official added.

Many of Cambodia's 700,000 garment workers travel to their factories in overcrowded vehicles to save money.

The trucks transporting them are routinely involved in accidents on the country's notoriously dangerous roads.

Last May, at least 19 Cambodian garment workers were killed and dozens injured in a van crash in eastern Svay Rieng province.

Cambodia's multi-billion dollar garment industry is a key source of export earnings for the impoverished kingdom.

The government said it would raise the minimum monthly wage for garment workers by nearly 10 percent to $140 in January, which fell short of union demands.

Cambodian police arrested a number of garment workers last month after breaking up a pay protest with water cannon at a factory near the Vietnam border.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

Rights groups petition Supreme Court for bail reform

Eight human rights and democracy organisations submitted an open letter to the president of the Supreme Court on Thursday asking it to release detained political activists and to review court regulations on bail conditions.

2 Feb 2023

Frenchman claiming police ties nabbed for extortion

A French fugitive has been arrested after allegedly claiming close connections with senior police officers to extort money from many expats in Pattaya.

2 Feb 2023

Online lotto chief charged with overpricing

The embattled chief executive of the Kong Salak Plus online lottery platform reported to police on Thursday to acknowledge charges of selling tickets at more than face value. He denied all charges and accused police of intimidating his clients.

2 Feb 2023