Syrian behind Ankara bomb attack that killed 28

Syrian behind Ankara bomb attack that killed 28

Firefighters try to extinguish the flames at the scene of a car bomb detonation close to buildings of the Turkish military, in Ankara Feb 17. Twenty-eight people were killed in the attack. (EPA photo)
Firefighters try to extinguish the flames at the scene of a car bomb detonation close to buildings of the Turkish military, in Ankara Feb 17. Twenty-eight people were killed in the attack. (EPA photo)

ANKARA - At least five people were killed and 10 wounded in a car bomb targeting the Turkish military in the capital Ankara on Wednesday, the city's governor said.

Turkish media reports say a Syrian national was behind the blast struck a convoy of military vehicles. Yeni Safak, a newspaper close to the government, said Thursday that the man who detonated the car bomb Wednesday that targeted buses carrying military personnel was identified from his fingerprints. It said he had been registered as a refugee in Turkey.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed retaliation against the perpetrators of the attack, which came on the heels of a spate of deadly strikes in Turkey blamed on jihadists and also Kurdish rebels.

The car bomb detonated when a convoy of military buses carrying dozens of soldiers stopped at traffic lights in central Ankara, sparking panic and chaos.

"This attack has very clearly targeted our esteemed nation as a whole and was carried out in a vile, dishonourable, treacherous and insidious way," said Mr Kurtulmus.

Plumes of smoke could be seen from all over the city rising from the scene, close to the headquarters of the Turkish military and the parliament.

The powerful blast was heard throughout Ankara, sending alarmed residents rushing to their balconies.

"I saw a huge fireball growing," 25-year-old witness Gurkan, who said he was standing 500 metres from the scene, told AFP.

"People started to run in all directions in panic as soon as we heard a strong explosion."

The army said the attack took place at 1631 GMT and had targeted "service vehicles carrying army personnel".

Without specifying what the retaliation could entail, Erdogan warned that "Turkey will not shy away from using its right to self-defence at any time, any place or any occasion".

"We will never take a step back in our rightful struggle against all terrorist organisations," said a statement from his office.

The bombing prompted Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu to scrap a planned trip to Brussels on Thursday to discuss Europe's migrant crisis. Erdogan also shelved a trip to Azerbaijan.

In Ankara, ambulances and fire engines were sent to the scene and wounded victims were seen being taken away on stretchers.

Images showed firefighters trying to overcome a fierce blaze engulfing the gutted service buses.

Turkish police threw a security cordon around the area. A second blast later rocked the area, an AFP correspondent said, but officials said this was police detonating a suspicious package.

Washington in a statement strongly condemned "the terrorist attack on Turkish military personnel and civilians" and reaffirmed US solidarity with the key Nato partner.

Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the alliance strongly condemned the bombing. "Nato allies stand shoulder to shoulder in the fight against terrorism," he said.

The EU pledged to stand "with Turkey and its people in these difficult times".

Mr Kurtulmus said authorities did not know who had carried out the attack, but vowed the perpetrators "will be revealed as soon as possible".

Ankara was already on alert after 103 people were killed on October 10 when two suicide bombers blew themselves up in a crowd of peace activists, the bloodiest attack in the country's modern history.

Eleven people, all German tourists, were also killed on January 16 when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the tourist heart of Turkey's biggest city, Istanbul.

Those attacks were blamed on Islamic State jihadists, as were two other deadly bombings in the country's Kurdish-dominated southeast earlier in the year.

But Turkey is also waging an all-out assault on the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has repeatedly attacked members of the security forces with roadside bombings on their convoys in the southeast.

Some 500 rebels crossed the Turkish border into Syria on Wednesday under the supervision of Turkish authorities to help insurgent groups battling Kurdish forces around the town of Azaz, monitoring group the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights said.

The PKK launched an insurgency against the Turkish state in 1984, initially fighting for Kurdish independence although now more for greater autonomy and rights for the country's largest ethnic minority.

Turkish artillery shelled positions of Kurdish fighters in Syria for the fifth day in a row on Wednesday in an escalating standoff, reports said.

Turkey says the Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) and its People's Protection Units (YPG) are merely the Syrian branch of the PKK and themselves terror groups.

The banned ultra-left Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C) has also staged a string of usually small-scale attacks in Istanbul over the last few months.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (1)

Teacher accused of sexually abusing boy since 2018

The family of an 11-year-old boy has accused a male teacher at an all-boys school of sexually abusing the child for three years.

20:17

Labanoon frontman joins Democrats in Narathiwat

Labanoon lead singer and guitarist Metee Arun has entered politics by joining the Democrat Party as a candidate for Narathiwat in a decision that has put the future of the popular rock band in doubt among its fans.

19:13

SRT condemns Red Line vandalism

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has warned people who vandalised the Red Line rail site at Nikhom Rodfai Km 11 in Chatuchak district that they will face legal action if they are caught.

18:56