"It's unlikely in these days of hardened cockpit doors and other preventative measures that small folding knives could be used to take over a plane," TSA administrator John Pistole said. Do you agree?

Send suggestions

Bangkok Post » Poll

• Start date:Apr 25, 2013
  • End date:Apr 26, 2013
  • Voters: 1,237 times
    70.3%
    28.8%
  • I don't know
    1.0%

Share your thoughts

For more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another, use our Forum

Report objectionable comments click here. Include: discussion #, commenter name, comment date / time as it looks on the page. Example: discussion 15: 09/01/2009 at 10:00 AM.

• Discussion 14 : 26 Apr 2013 at 23.0014

#9 Well I have "go figure" and don't think you have this right. What intelligent pilot would think that opening the cockpit door to a terrorist/hijacker would be a good idea and lessen the probability of loss of life? I would want that door to remain shut and the negotiations to be carried out on the ground ASAP. It would not be a choice anyone would want to make, but that door needs to remain closed and that message to be understood.

• Discussion 13 : 26 Apr 2013 at 22.0113

If any bad guy attempted to hijack any Thai aircraft, well they would most likely succeed. Thais rarely complain and wait too long to start negotiations.I've never feared flying any planes even Thai airplanes. However traveling on a big double-decker Thai luxury bus is out of the question. I have no idea what if any driving skills are required or if they are hired on their former jogging skills. I wouldn't board one for free for a one block ride.

• Discussion 12 : 26 Apr 2013 at 17.5312

i think john pistole has got it wrong!! suppose he was on a flight, with a knife to his throat and the perpertrator threatening to kill him if the captain failed to open the door! there are so many scenarios where a simple fold knife could do so much damage on a flight!

• Discussion 11 : 26 Apr 2013 at 17.4711

Since the 9/11, hijacking an airplane, especially in the US, is the thing of the past as the passengers would rise up and take care of any would be hijackers. The pilots and passengers, whose interest is to arrive at their destination together safely, would naturally cover each other's back. Hijacking is one thing, but turning a jetliner full of passengers in to a WMD is quite something else.

• Discussion 10 : 26 Apr 2013 at 17.1810

I can't believe what your pilot friends say. I don’t believe a cockpit crew will compromise the safety of everyone else. They’ve all been trained to deal with this scenario, holding crew hostage. Once the door to the flight deck is open, the whole plane is put into jeopardy, risking the safety of all on board.

• Discussion 9 : 26 Apr 2013 at 15.169

Although the airlines policies says otherwise, my pilot friends admit that they will open the cockpit door if a hijacker starts killing crew or passengers. Instead of a knife, the thorn of a belt will do. Go figure.

• Discussion 8 : 26 Apr 2013 at 09.538

But they could lead to a hostage situation. Suppose hijackers use knives to take over a plane? They could demand the pilot direct the flight where they want, periodically killing passengers if they refuse.

• Discussion 7 : 26 Apr 2013 at 06.427

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Some September 11 hijackers may have been armed with a high-strength, folding metal utility knife rather than a more easily concealed box cutter, according to testimony Tuesday on Capitol Hill.
    CNN Washington Bureau
    Tuesday, January 27, 2004

• Discussion 6 : 25 Apr 2013 at 21.086

I have no idea if it would be possible to take over a plane with a small knife. But I do know that a few weeks ago I was allowed to board a flight in Suratthani with an 9 inch phillips head screwdriver that I didn't realize was in my carry-on bag until I got to Bangkok.

• Ian

ThailandPost : 2,066

Send message

Discussion 5 : 25 Apr 2013 at 19.335

This has always seemed a silly rule to me. With onboard meals you get plastic knives and forks, if the knife can cut the meat on my plate then it can cut skin, if the fork can spear a portion of apple then it can pierce a throat or eyeball.

Sign in once and access every part of the website at your convenience!

Please log in to our Bangkokpost.com community to post your comments.
You can sign in to the community by clicking here.

If you weren't part of the community yet, please sign up here.
By being part of this community you will get all these privileges.