Italian-Thai boss charged with hunting in sanctuary
Construction tycoon Premchai Karnasuta has been arrested for allegedly hunting wildlife in the World Heritage Thungyai Naresuan sanctuary in Kanchanaburi province.
Park rangers arrested Mr Premchai, the 63-year-old president of the huge SET-listed construction company Italian-Thai Development (ITD), in a no-camping area of Huai Pachee forest in the western part of the sanctuary late on Sunday night.
Officials found skinned carcasses of protected wild animals, including a 1.48-metre-long black panther, a Kalij pheasant and a barking deer, three long-barrelled guns and ammunition in his possession.
Arrested with him were three others. Together they were charged with unauthorised hunting, unauthorised hunting in a wildlife sanctuary, unauthorised possession of wildlife carcasses, illegally bringing hunting tools into a wildlife sanctuary, unauthorised collection of forest products and illegal possession of firearms.
On Sunday a Maharat forest ranger unit informed the sanctuary management that Mr Premchai's group were staying in a no-camping area.
Rangers were sent to their camp and brought them back to the sanctuary office about 2.40am on Monday.
Learn from listening
- ammunition: bullets, bombs, etc that can be fired from a weapon - อาวุธยุทธภัณฑ์, ลูกกระสุน
- carcass: the body of a dead animal - ซาก
- deer: an animal with long legs, that eats grass, leaves, etc. and can run fast. Most male deer have antlers (= horns shaped like branches) - กวาง
- hunt (verb): to look for a person or animal in order to catch them or harm them; to chase wild animals or birds in order to catch or kill them for food, sport or to make money - ตามหา, ล่า
- panther (noun): a black leopard (= a large wild animal of the cat family) - เสือดำ,เสือลายตลับ
- pheasant (noun): a large bird with a long tail, the male of which is brightly coloured. People sometimes shoot pheasants for sport or food. Meat from this bird is also called pheasant - ไก่ฟ้า
- protected animal: an animal protected by law, making it illegal to to kill or harm the animal -
- sanctuary: a place where birds or animals can live and be protected, especially from hunters or dangerous conditions - เขตสงวนพันธุ์สัตว์ป่า
- trekking (noun): a long, hard walk lasting several days or weeks, especially in the mountains - การเดินป่าหรือภูเขา ,การเที่ยวป่าหรือภูเขา