Prayut orders pollution crackdown
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered government agencies to take action to fight the air pollution that has hit Bangkok and its surrounding provinces in recent days.
The PM said the government had continuously implemented measures against the surging PM2.5 levels but the problem had deteriorated due to the current weather.
He urged commuters to use public transport as much as possible and said the government would consider introducing alternate-day private travel only in the capital.
As for agricultural burning, one of the main causes of the PM2.5 crisis, Gen Prayut said the problem lay with farmers lacking the proper equipment for non-burning waste disposal.
Traffic police in Bangkok have been told to set up checkpoints on roads in congested areas to check vehicles emitting black fumes.
Meanwhile, the Bangkok governor said the BMA had asked the Highways Department to continuously wash roads in an effort to reduce excessive PM2.5 levels in many areas across the city.
The BMA has told 437 schools to skip outdoor morning assembly and large construction projects have also been ordered to stop for the next two to three days.
- agricultural (adj): of the science or practice of farming - ที่เกี่ยวกับเกษตรกรรม
- alternate (verb): to happening or follow one after the other regularly สลับกัน - สลับกัน
- assembly: bringing together and forming a group - การนำมาร่วมกัน
- BMA (noun): the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration; the local government of Bangkok - กรุงเทพมหานคร
- congested: too blocked or crowded and causing difficulties - แน่นขนัด
- construction: the work of building or making something, especially buildings, bridges, etc. - การก่อสร้าง
- crackdown: strong action that someone in authority takes to stop a particular activity - การใช้กำลังเข้าปราบปรามของเจ้าหน้าที่
- deteriorate: to become worse - เลวร้ายลง
- disposal (noun): getting rid of something, by selling it or throwing it away - การกำจัด
- emit: to send something out into the air - ปล่อยออกมา, แพร่กระจาย
- equipment: the things that are needed for a particular purpose or activity - อุปกรณ์, เครื่องมือ
- excessive: much greater than is usual; too much of something - มากเกินปริมาณที่พอดี
- fumes (noun): smoke, gas, or something similar that smells strongly or is dangerous to breathe in - ควัน
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- implement: to make something such as an idea, plan, system or law start to work and be used - นำแผนหรือนโยบายมาปฏิบัติ, นำมาใช้
- PM2.5 (n): atmospheric particulate matter (PM) with a diameter of less than 2.5 micrometres, which is about 3% the diameter of a human hair. It can lodge in the lungs and enter blood vessels, leading to respiratory and cardiovascular disease -
- pollution (noun): contaminated, when something has been made dirty, poisonous, unpleasant to see or smell and possibly dangerous to health - การทำให้เป็นมลพิษ, การทำให้สกปรก, ภาวะมลพิษ, สภาวะมลพิษ, มลภาวะเป็นพิษ, สภาพเป็นพิษ, ความสกปรก
- skip: to not do something that you usually do or that you should do; to avoid - ไม่เข้าร่วม, ขาด
- surge: to increase very quickly - เพิ่มขึ้นอย่างรวดเร็ว