3 ministers get jail sentences
Three cabinet ministers were among 26 people who were on Wednesday given jail sentences for their roles in street protests that ousted the Yingluck administration.
Digital Economy and Society Minister Buddhipongse Punnakanta, Education Minister Nataphol Teepsuwan, both from the Palang Pracharath Party, and Deputy Transport Minister Thaworn Senneam from the Democrat Party were found guilty by the Criminal Court of charges relating to protests led by the now-defunct People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).
They were indicted on several charges including insurrection, criminal association, illegal assembly and obstructing others from casting votes during street protests between November 2013 and May 2014 to oust the Yingluck Shinawatra government.
Mr Buddhipongse was sentenced to seven years; Mr Nataphol received seven years and four months and Mr Thaworn received five years.
Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Wednesday the cabinet ministers lost their posts as soon as the jail sentences were handed down.
The three were among 39 people who were indicted on multiple charges.
Besides the cabinet ministers, former PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban received five years; Democrat MP for Chumphon, Chumpol Julasai, received 11 years and Democrat list-MP Isara Somchai received eight years and four months.
Suvit Thongprasert, formerly known as Luang Pu Buddha Isara, was sentenced to four years and eight months while activist Samran Rodpetch was given three years and four months.
- activist: someone who takes part in activities that are intended to achieve political or social change, especially someone who is a member of an organisation - นักกิจกรรม
- assembly: bringing together and forming a group - การนำมาร่วมกัน
- association: a connection between two things - การเชื่อมติดกัน
- cabinet ministers: government ministers who meet as a group (the cabinet) to make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- cast a vote: to vote - ลงคะแนน
- defunct: no longer existing, operating or being used - ถูกยุบ, หยุดทำงาน
- guilty: having been decided by a court of law that you committed the crime your were accused of - มีความผิด
- indicted (verb): officially accused someone of a serious crime - ถูกฟ้องร้อง
- insurrection: an attempt by a large group of people to take control of their country by force - การกบฏ
- oust: to force to leave a position of power - ขับออกจากอำนาจ
- post: a job/position in a company or organisation - ตำแหน่งการงาน