Coalition figures question ‘new election’ scenario
Two key members of the new coalition have questioned why caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam raised the idea of a new election if a shareholding complaint against Move Forward Party (MFP) leader Pita Limjaroenrat is upheld.
Move Forward spokesman Rangsiman Rome on Thursday reiterated that his party was well prepared to clarify the party leader’s shareholding in iTV Plc, saying the complaints against Mr Pita were politically motivated.
The MFP list MP-elect questioned why Mr Wissanu raised the scenario of a new nationwide general election if a ruling against Mr Pita leads to the revocation of his prime ministerial eligibility, MP status and his endorsement of his party’s candidates in the May 14 polls.
“In making such remarks, You (Mr Wissanu) are trying to advise senators (how to vote), aren’t you?” Mr Rangsiman asked. “This is a way to influence society and will make senators hesitate with hopes for a windfall.
“My question is whether the way you are doing it will create chaos in society or not. It’s tantamount to showing no respect for the intention of people who exercised their voting rights.
“Instead of giving a press interview in this manner, it’s better for Mr Wissanu to suggest to Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha that he show some spirit and pack his belongings from Government House,” said Mr Rangsiman, referring to the caretaker prime minister.
A deputy leader of the Pheu Thai Party also shrugged off Mr Wissanu’s remarks about a new election, calling such a scenario far-fetched.
The case against Mr Pita involves 42,000 shares in iTV.
iTV stopped broadcasting in 2007.
Learn from listening
- candidate: a person who is trying to be elected - ผู้สมัครรับเลือกตั้ง
- chaos: a situation in which everything is confused and in a mess - การจราจล
- coalition: a temporary union of different political parties that agree to form a government together - พรรคร่วมรัฐบาล
- eligibility (noun): the condition of being able to have or do something because you have the right qualifications, are the right age, etc - การมีสิทธิเข้ารับเลือก, ความมีสิทธิ์จะได้รับเลือก, ความเหมาะสม
- far-fetched: difficult to believe will happen; incredible - ซึ่งไม่น่าเชื่อ, ซึ่งไม่น่าเป็นไปได้
- figure: someone who is important in some way - บุคคลสำคัญ
- influence: to affect or change how someone or something develops, behaves or thinks - มีอิทธิพลต่อ, ชักจูง อำนาจบังคับ
- MP-elect: a person who has been elected as a member of the House of Representatives but who has not yet taken office - ว่าที่ผู้แทนราษฎร
- pack: to put clothes, etc. into a bag in preparation for a trip away from home - เก็บเสื้อผ้าลงหีบ
- reiterated: repeated something in order to emphasise it or make it very clear to people - ยืนยันตามเดิม
- revocation: officially saying that something is no longer legal - การยกเลิก การเพิกถอน
- ruling (noun): a judgement; a decision by a court of law - คำตัดสิน คำชี้ขาด
- scenario (noun): a description of possible actions or events in the future - การสมมติสภาพที่เป็นไปได้
- senator: a member of the Senate - วุฒิสมาชิก
- shareholding: the amount of a company or business that somebody owns in the form of shares - การถือหุ้น
- shrug off: to show that something does not worry or upset you - ไม่เอาใจใส่, ไม่สนใจ
- tantamount to: tantamount to being almost the same or having the same effect as, usually something bad - เท่ากัน
- windfall: an amount of money that you get when you are not expecting it or which comes to you very easily, especially a large amount - สิ่งดีๆ ที่ได้มาที่คาดไม่ถึง, เงินที่ได้มาอย่างไม่คาดฝัน